New Raleigh Chopper Find

This ad disappears when logged in

Jim Barnard

Finally riding a big boys bike
Sep 30, 2017
New London, CT, United States
So this 71 Girlie Chopper has my favorite S/A hub (S3C) that allows me to make giant skid marks in my driveway. I hope the neighbors do not notice that no children live here and wonder what Kook is making all the "J" shaped skids while making "Whoot, whoot, whoot" noises. This bike came to me from New Jersey. I was very happy to get it in trade for a MK3 chopper that I still had in the box from 2004 or so.

IMG_8013[1].JPG

IMG_8014[1].JPG

Jim Barnard

Sep 30, 2017
Oops! I hit POST before I was done.

Any way.

The bike was in need of tons of touch up and correct parts

IMG_8046[1].JPG

IMG_8047[1].JPG

I got lucky with the cleanup and the paint match for the guard and had all the right parts and accessories in the parts bins. (I used to have quite a few MK1 Choppers)

IMG_8016[1].JPG

The seat should be white...the front fender is actually off an RSW, but close enough for me.

IMG_8017[1].JPG

IMG_8020[1].JPG

IMG_8021[1].JPG

Jim Barnard

Sep 30, 2017
She proudly resides on the "Keeper" rack in the basement. When I sold most of my bikes to build a house, I kept only 20 bikes. These Choppers were among the few things I kept from before.

IMG_8022[1].JPG

The Sprint GT is a bird not often seen in the US. This odd beast is very correct. She came to me from Dave Salmon at Bittacy Cycles.

IMG_8023[1].JPG

IMG_8025[1].JPG

IMG_8024[1].JPG

IMG_8026[1].JPG

IMG_8027[1].JPG

Below is my second Chopper. My first was under the Xmas tree in 1970.This one is a derailleur 5 speed. With HBR!

IMG_8028[1].JPG

The bike below is one of 2 1970 3+2 HBR models. I have never seen any ads for this model. I do remember seeing these on the shop floor at the local Raleigh dealer in Bloomfield CT. The twin stick was confusing to the children who were expected to ride the thing.

IMG_8029[1].JPG

IMG_8030[1].JPG

Mmmmmm... Royal Carmine!

rfeagleye

Oct 20, 2011
Medina, United States
Awesome bikes Jim! I dig those girlie Choppers, great look to the frame and kind of cool Raleigh still gave it a stick shift on the column.

And I believe I am in love with the Royal Carmine 3+2 o_O

Jim Barnard

Sep 30, 2017
Awesome bikes Jim! I dig those girlie Choppers, great look to the frame and kind of cool Raleigh still gave it a stick shift on the column.

And I believe I am in love with the Royal Carmine 3+2 o_O
Thanks Rob! I am surprised how much people are asking for the Choppers now. Are these getting scarce in your neck of the woods as well?

Sven

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Dec 24, 2017
Mechanicsville, MD, United States
Nice score and great collection. Don't worry about your neighbors, Jim. I'm sure it will be posted on youtube

Njmod

On Training Wheels
May 21, 2019
New Jersey

And I believe I am in love with the Royal Carmine 3+2 o_O[/QUOTE

Never seen a girls. What would a clean one sell for?
Thanks

Jim Barnard

Sep 30, 2017
Hey,

There is a horizon blue in Stonington (10 miles from me)
for sale at $900?? or so. I can ask for a hard number, if you are willing to go that high. He wants a LOT for it, but these Choppers are pretty hot now. I wanted to buy it for $400 or so but he was not playing ball.

Jim

jrcarz

Feb 22, 2014
Hampshire, United States
Jim

Always love to see your bikes . I always wanted the apple color Chopper. A kid rode up to my house with one when I was a kid I never forgot it.

Chavez

Look Ma, No Hands!
Oct 30, 2012
Wow! I never noticed before, but the frame is very similar to the Raleigh Twenty. The basic H frame looks identical. The chopper frames girls and boys look like they’re based on that same Raleigh Twenty frame. I have one that I went nuts on making a cool Mid drive EBike out of that runs on Milwaukee batteries. No wonder I love the way it rides so much, it’s basically a muscle bike! It makes me want a Raleigh Chopper now. D3134DFD-FB31-46EB-ABCA-059DFF437BD1.jpeg

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture