When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New S-7 Brick Tires By An Old Manufacturer?

-

GTs58

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
I have a set of old Fong branded brick tread tires that came on my 58 Corvette that I picked up in 2008. A short time later I started looking for these tires when I acquired a few other middleweights but they were no where to be found and my only option then for tires were the Kenda's and CST's. Now we have the Westwind repops with what looks like a recent price increase. I found these and I'm going to get a set to check out the quality. Made by Duro, an offshoot of Fong.

Has anyone here already checked these out?

1667625353459.png

Last edited:
I put a set of the actual Fong branded brick tread tires on my green 5 speed Jag in 2009. I got them from an eBay vendor who was located in Colorado at the time. I wish I could remember his name!!

He had the ID that had the word lowrider in it, I believe.

Last edited:
I put a set of the actual Fong branded brick tread tires on my green 5 speed Jag in 2009. I got them from an eBay vendor who was located in Colorado at the time. I wish I could remember his name!!

The Fongs that are on my 58 Corvette were brand new at that time. These tires have not been produced or available since then from what I've found. There was some kind of change in the company and it is now connected to Duro. Years back I read that Duro bought out Fong and thought the name was history. Anyway, they are now related and those tires are now being "repopped" again. They aren't cheap but cheaper than the repop westwinds.

It, although they fit S-7 rims are noticeably fatter than the comparable Westwind repops. They fill the fenders out very nicely.

It, although they fit S-7 rims are noticeably fatter than the comparable Westwind repops. They fill the fenders out very nicely.

I thought they looked beefier too. I'm getting a pair of these for my Corvette 5 speed rider. Lost most all of my pics when I got hacked but still have this one of the 58 with the Fong brick tread.

Last edited:
As of today I've found these tires being sold by three different eBay sellers. Two in Cali and one in Indiana.

Got one mounted on a rim and I have to say these are some badass S-7 Brick tread tires! They look like 2.25 Typhoons on a skinny rim. They look great and they're not as squared off or blocky as the CS Goodyear treads. These will now be my replacements.

Compared here to a 26 x 1 3/4 Schwinn sold and labeled replacement that's the same as the Kenda 26 x 1 3/4. The overall dia. is 26 3/8" and they blow out past the side of the rim almost 3/8"

Last edited:
Gary, I've used the Duros for S-7's and they look and ride well. They do seem to be a little wider than the Westwinds but fill up the fenders nicely. The reason for the price increase on the Westwind repops is the fact that they are left over stock from Schwinn's "Classic" parts line of the late 90's and the supply is dwindling. If you want the Westwinds better get them now as they are going to be gone eventually. I think Bicyclebones is the last vendor with a decent stash of these left.

No, he is talking about the brand NEW brick tread 2.0's for S7's, not fong, Duro or Kenda, a local distributor just had the mold made and just got the 1st shipment in a couple of weeks ago, I had been bugging him for a couple of years because the other 2.0 for S7's he was selling didn't have a Schwinn looking tread even though they are for Schwinn S7 only. these are true 2.0's if not a little bigger and really give some beef to your middleweight. I just posted black wall & WW here for sale but no shipping for now.

Last edited:
Back