When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New S-7 Brick Tires By An Old Manufacturer?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Ok as said I never really inspected the WW before I shipped them out but after 50 + tires ( no complaints yet ) I had one tire that I just noticed a little black loop on the edge of the WW ( almost looked like black pen ) that I think was a piece of black rubber molded into WW ( I forgot to take a pic ), so far I've only used the BW and still love the way they ride!

I'm seeing a lot of people saying that the brick treads ride well and perform well, but I'm not quite clear what that means.

Specifically, I am looking for tires that will perform well on city streets / bike paths where there may be some debris as well as possible rainy conditions. I am wondering whether the brick treads will provide the best grip under these situations, or whether some of the offerings from Sunlite, which seem to have a more aggressive tread, will grip better and make it less likely for me to crash.

I appreciate any insights that you may have.

Here are a few examples that my eyes have passed over:
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I sell the S7 2.0’s bricks black wall for $35 & WW $40 a pair local pickup, shipping extra available for 3 pairs or more, as far a tread performance I have not ridden them in the rain but no ride city streets, river & beach trails with dirt & sand and have no complaints, I also want the tires to look correct and sense S7 is only a Schwinn thing the diamond or Kenda treads don’t fit the bill, so I stopped buying, selling or using the others as the bricks are everything I want.

I sell the S7 2.0’s bricks black wall for $35 & WW $40 a pair local pickup, shipping extra available for 3 pairs or more, as far a tread performance I have not ridden them in the rain but no ride city streets, river & beach trails with dirt & sand and have no complaints, I also want the tires to look correct and sense S7 is only a Schwinn thing the diamond or Kenda treads don’t fit the bill, so I stopped buying, selling or using the others as the bricks are everything I want.
That's a great price, and I really appreciate what you are doing, and if I needed three sets of tires, I would definitely go to you.

As it is, I just have a single bike with S7 tires, one that I hope to sell by Christmas. It has solidly good Westwinds installed by the original owner, which I want to protect for the lucky CABEer who becomes the new custodian of this glorious ride. I want to both protect those tires - I'm kind of afraid that they may blow out on me - and have the best traction possible to keep from laying down the bike.

In short, specific needs that are not necessarily standard.

I'm seeing a lot of people saying that the brick treads ride well and perform well, but I'm not quite clear what that means.

Specifically, I am looking for tires that will perform well on city streets / bike paths where there may be some debris as well as possible rainy conditions. I am wondering whether the brick treads will provide the best grip under these situations, or whether some of the offerings from Sunlite, which seem to have a more aggressive tread, will grip better and make it less likely for me to crash.

I appreciate any insights that you may have.

Here are a few examples that my eyes have passed over:
View attachment 1255426
View attachment 1255427
View attachment 1255428

Schwinn installed brick tread tires on a few million of their bikes from the 50's to the 90's and I've never heard of anyone suing over tire traction issues. Having a big aggressive tread isn't always going to keep you from going down, and if you make a sharp turn on a sand dusted asphalt street or a wet street you're at risk. I can say that from personal experience. As a kid I rode a 64 Varsity, 1-1/4" tires, in places you wouldn't image and never had an issue and there is basically no tread at all, very similar to a cheater slick and SKINNY. I rode that bike in rain storms, down dirt and gravel canal roads, thru the desert paths in Apache Junction, BMX'd in the old Hohokam canals and ditches and never went down. Came close a few times but never biffed it. When I made a right turn after going thru a very small spot of water in a gutter on my Taco mini bike, with knobby tires, I went down like a lead turd and slid across the asphalt with the mini bike on top of me. Like an idiot, I was at full throttle and didn't think that little bit of water on 150 degree asphalt would be a problem. A few years later in life I made a right hand turn, at night, on a sand dusted asphalt street with my Honda Hog and I went down real quick and hard. I'm probably your age and have no reservations using these brick tread tires on my rider. My biggest fear is stepping on that dropped bar of soap in the shower and then falling cracking my head open on the toilet. :tonguewink:
That Jaguar was factory issued with Westwind whitewall brick treads and a WW set of these tires would make a new buyer/owner happy.

Schwinn installed brick tread tires on a few million of their bikes from the 50's to the 90's and I've never heard of anyone suing over tire traction issues. Having a big aggressive tread isn't always going to keep you from going down, and if you make a sharp turn on a sand dusted asphalt street or a wet street you're at risk. I can say that from personal experience. As a kid I rode a 64 Varsity, 1-1/4" tires, in places you wouldn't image and never had an issue and there is basically no tread at all, very similar to a cheater slick and SKINNY. I rode that bike in rain storms, down dirt and gravel canal roads, thru the desert paths in Apache Junction, BMX'd in the old Hohokam canals and ditches and never went down. Came close a few times but never biffed it. When I made a right turn after going thru a very small spot of water in a gutter on my Taco mini bike, with knobby tires, I went down like a lead turd and slid across the asphalt with the mini bike on top of me. Like an idiot, I was at full throttle and didn't think that little bit of water on 150 degree asphalt would be a problem. A few years later in life I made a right hand turn, at night, on a sand dusted asphalt street with my Honda Hog and I went down real quick and hard. I'm probably your age and have no reservations using these brick tread tires on my rider. My biggest fear is stepping on that dropped bar of soap in the shower and then falling cracking my head open on the toilet. :tonguewink:
That Jaguar was factory issued with Westwind whitewall brick treads and a WW set of these tires would make a new buyer/owner happy.
I grew up I Phx and I agree with you about those conditions. From your conversation I remember all the crapy roads and the temperature of the streets most of the year especially the summer! It was dicey!

On an s7 rim, you have about 3 choices and that's it. If you are going to split hairs about tread performance, you really need to get rid of the s7 rims. With 559mm rims the choices are infinite in tread, casing type, pressure capacity, and width.

IMHO these new "small brick" 2.0 tires are the best thing to happen to s7 bikes in the last 50 years. I have a set and I still can't quite believe how good they are. They look and feel like quality and are really round and straight. They were a pain in the ass to mount, but that's just part of the game with Schwinn's proprietary "straight sided" rim design. I'll admit I've not rode them in the wet. I'm not going to either because the bike is fenderless.

Just get some.

Oh, the bar of soap is definitely a risk, but that wouldn't affect the gorgeous paint on this bicycle.

Your insights are appreciated. I just know that I have laid my (boring modern road) bike down once while commuting to work (total bicycle commute times - fewer than 20) and I want to avoid that at all costs with this one. Thanks!

@bloo said IMHO these new "small brick" 2.0 tires are the best thing to happen to s7 bikes in the last 50 years. I have a set and I still can't quite believe how good they are. They look and feel like quality and are really round and straight. They were a pain in the ass to mount, but that's just part of the game with Schwinn's proprietary "straight sided" rim design. I'll admit I've not rode them in the wet. I'm not going to either because the bike is fenderless.

Just get some.
[/QUOTE]
I agree with most of this but have not had any problem mounting them, most of the manufacturers made S7 tires ( with alot of different names ) back in the day and they all fit a little different, I took off a couple vintage today, the Western Flyers ( not sure who made their tires but you can usually figure out by the markings ) were a very tight fit but the Uniroyal's were not as tight, as for quality these 2.0's are made in the same factory as Cheng shin that are better quality than most other Asian tires. so far in about 60-70 tires I have only had one with a very little piece of black rubber in the WW so that pretty good. most tire brands don't make their own tires, Schwinn tires were made by Goodyear, Carlisle & US Royal/Uniroyal.

Last edited:
Back