When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New seat-post removal technique

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

tacochris

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
This may be old news but it helped me and may help someone else:
Ok, so Ive been known to my group of friends who can take apart just about any rusty, frozen bike and I still have not been beaten to this day. My friend brought me this coppertone stingray because the entire bike was frozen solid. I worked my magic on all but the seat-post but not to be beaten I devised this idea in bed one night and low-and-behold it worked! this will only work if you have some, even an inch, of post sticking out.

Tools
-A welder
-PB or any manner of Liquid Wrench type stuff
-impact socket that fits inside or snugly over the post
-impact

This post is the tapered kind found on most earlier bikes so I found a cheap Walmart impact socket (yes I know its chrome and not black) that fit snug over the post and tapped it as far down as it would go (inside the post if its cut off short). Once the socket was secure and I had removed some chrome and prepped the post, I did 3 small stitch welds joining the socket to the post. While its still hot, spray where the post goes in with Power Blaster (or whatever you use) and the heat will cause it to boil down into the seat mast area and then let that sit for a second.

Once that was done I put the frame on the ground between my knees and proceeded to give it all the ugga-duggas with the impact I could give it. To my surprise, it only took around 30 seconds of grunt and it wiggled slightly and then started spinning for its life!

Once that was done and I stopped smiling I thru it into my stand upside down, spun it with the impact and worked it down and came out clean as a whistle and hell it even cleaned the inside of the seat mast on the way out!

I should note, up until this point I had been working on it a week and had tried tightening a seat on it and wiggling it, I tried heat and then rapid cooling, I tried jarring it loose with small hammer taps, I taped the end of the post and filled it upside down with Power Blaster and even tried a pipe wrench on a rag....NOTHING. This method got it out in about 10 minutes total counting welding.

In this case James didnt care if I ruined the post so i didn't bother fixing it or the cheap socket, but if you have a cut-off wheel and a grinder and wanna save the post or socket, afterwards you can cut thru the weld carefully, remove the post from the socket and grind down the welds.

Here are some lame screen grabs from the video I made.

socket.png

impact.jpg

The 2020 Award for Ingenuity and Perseverance in Bicycle Disassembly goes to ... Tacochris!

The IPBID!
View attachment 1321261
Lol....thats a good one.

I take great pride in the fact that I can blow apart any bike no matter how rusty or frozen if you give me a week or two. Its all about patience and creativity. This bike was nothing compared to the 1941 Autocycle I blew apart not too long ago. Looked like a rusty boat anchor but I still got it completely apart down to the last bolt.

Liked it!

I've had a few stuck schwinns lately. What I've done with just trash off the job is this. About a 3' piece of 3/8" threaded rod and about a 1' piece of 3/4 EMT. Had to open up the hole on top of the post to 3/8. Slide the rod down to the BB and double nutted it. Pulled the rod up and the nuts get stuck where the post tapers down. Slide the EMT over it, unistrut square washer, flat washer and another nut. Crank down on the nut and it walks it right out.

Last edited:
Liked it!

I've had a few stuck schwinns lately. What I've done with just trash off the job is this. About a 3' piece of 3/8" threaded rod and about a 1' piece of 3/4 EMT. Had to open up the hole on top of the post to 3/8. Slide the rod down to the BB and double nutted it. Pulled the rod up and the nuts get stuck where the post tapers down. Slide the EMT over it, unistrut square washer, flat washer and another nut. Crank down on the nut and it walks it right out.
Funny you mention that! I was designing something very similar in my head before i decided on this method!
It was crazy how fast this worked but then again if you cant weld its not the best option.

Funny you mention that! I was designing something very similar in my head before i decided on this method!
It was crazy how fast this worked but then again if you cant weld its not the best option.

No welder. Must use dynamite in someone else's garage.

Liked it!

I was trying to use your method on a stuck seatpost today but unfortunately, it was a columbia and didn't have a hole in the tube at the bottom bracket. Fortunately I was able to get a pipe wrench on the seat post and was able to get it to turn so I could get it out.

Then I turned my attention to the fork. It had a wedge stuck in the bottom of the fork. Common problem. I was able to get the bolt back in the wedge but I couldn't get it to budge at all no matter what I tried. Then I thought of your seat post idea and wondered if it would work for my stuck wedge. I used a socket instead of your EMT and a heavy metal strap and a washer to do the job. I leaned on my impact driver for a bit and to my amazement it finally popped. I never would have thought to do this if it wasn't for your suggestion for the seatpost. Thanks for sharing!

1618172277586.png

I just got a 1941 Monark. i didn’t want the handle bars but the seller did. The stem bolt loosened easily and the bars twisted in the stem. Turns out that the goose neck broke close to the wedge. Took out the bolt and the seller kept the broken goose neck and the handle bars. Got the bike home and removed the fork. Put the bolt back into the wedge, put the fork into the vise, heated up the fork, and hooked a big assed slide hammer to the head of the bolt. About four slides and the wedge pulled the broken stem from the fork. That big slide hammer has come through for me on a number of occasion. The trick with the impact socket reminds me of who a mechanic friend of mine removes wheel locks when a customer brings in a car for which he’s lost the key to the lock.. Drive the impact socket onto the wheel lock with a big hammer and let the impact wrench do its thing.

I was trying to use your method on a stuck seatpost today but unfortunately, it was a columbia and didn't have a hole in the tube at the bottom bracket. Fortunately I was able to get a pipe wrench on the seat post and was able to get it to turn so I could get it out.

Then I turned my attention to the fork. It had a wedge stuck in the bottom of the fork. Common problem. I was able to get the bolt back in the wedge but I couldn't get it to budge at all no matter what I tried. Then I thought of your seat post idea and wondered if it would work for my stuck wedge. I used a socket instead of your EMT and a heavy metal strap and a washer to do the job. I leaned on my impact driver for a bit and to my amazement it finally popped. I never would have thought to do this if it wasn't for your suggestion for the seatpost. Thanks for sharing!

View attachment 1389577
If my technique can help one person save a fork or a seat post then its 100% worth it so thanks for sharing! My method has saved at least 3-4 bikes other folks had literally given up on.

Back