When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New seller beware (scammer)

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
had another one last week on a bike I have for sale,asked me if I am a legitimate seller,i tell him that's why I left my phone # so call me,he says I am trying to be sure you are real have you got a text from google,if you are not a scammer send me the verifercation code from google first! I need the code ,told him really nice to bug off!!!

Yeah WTF is it with this GOOGLE CODE ?
Guy kept bugging me and I said call the dam number . It's my store phone number for
gawd's sakes , just GOOGLE IT.

He's been banned.
1557407277563.gif
Way to go Dave!!!

FYI, the fact that the same pics can be found on the internet, doesn't necessarily mean anything. I have done google image searches and found pictures of some of my bikes, that I took myself, and posted on the CABE.
I agree, except if I'm legitimately selling something I'm going to post a picture of exactly what I'm selling otherwise it's false advertising.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

detroitbike said:
Yeah WTF is it with this GOOGLE CODE ?
Guy kept bugging me and I said call the dam number . It's my store phone number for
gawd's sakes , just GOOGLE IT.

Looks like it’s a scam to get a google voice number issued to them. ( according to the Internet and that’s NEVER wrong;))
Here’s the explanation: https://support.google.com/voice/thread/845902?hl=en

It is a huge scam, I typically get 1 of those within minutes of listing a bike on clist.

I tell them as politely as I can to go bugger themselves. If it was a human who had read my ad for the bike, they would already know that if the ask me to email them, from a text, or use a verification code, they can go roast marshmallows with satan at his homestead.

So, when it happens, I tell them to bugger off and block them.

Someone used a similar tactic on me...i was suspicious but when with it anyway. It started with a want ad on my part. However in my situation it was a known name and the seller said his wife was going to send the item and while I did get the part it was not the part he advertised..i got a china made crap. I asked what happended and he asked if i got it and i said yes but not the part he advertised. He said hed fix the problem... Didnt answer my calls after that. What a loser. Been over a year. "If its Too good to be true" is what i should have held firm to.

Last edited:
I agree, except if I'm legitimately selling something I'm going to post a picture of exactly what I'm selling otherwise it's false advertising.

Yes, most people would post pics of exactly what they are selling. And the pics can still show up in a google image search is all I was saying.

Example: you post a bike for sale with a description of the make and model and post a picture. Someone can do a search on that particular make and model and look at google images, and possibly see one or more pictures of your bike that you posted in your ad.

I can google image search some of my own bikes and see pictures that I posted as well as pics that previous owners posted.

So finding pictures online of a bike that's for sale is not necessarily a sign of a scam. However, this bike in question had a bogus story to go along with the online pics.

Hold the phone!!!!!
I just googled "1941 Schwinn blue and white bicycle" ...images...and got THIS!
Isn't that the bike? There's a site Dave's Vintage Bicycles where he shows pictures of bikes. I believe that's where "seller" got picture.
Bait him via the authorities!!!!!View attachment 993870

When I saw the first photo above; I had the thought: I've seen this on-line.... Great job on checking it out, and to Dave's sight. Kudos to the one who posted this as a 'possible' scam!!! @ZE52414

Yes, most people would post pics of exactly what they are selling. And the pics can still show up in a google image search is all I was saying.

Example: you post a bike for sale with a description of the make and model and post a picture. Someone can do a search on that particular make and model and look at google images, and possibly see one or more pictures of your bike that you posted in your ad.

I can google image search some of my own bikes and see pictures that I posted as well as pics that previous owners posted.

So finding pictures online of a bike that's for sale is not necessarily a sign of a scam. However, this bike in question had a bogus story to go along with the online pics.
I think we're saying the same thing, problem is semantics. Selling your bike, your picture(s) is what you should do. Posting a picture of a beautifully restored bike when you have a similar not as nice one is very wrong. Posting (by STEALING) someone else's picture, asking for wire transfer and giving nothing in return is jail time!!!!!

When I saw the first photo above; I had the thought: I've seen this on-line.... Great job on checking it out, and to Dave's sight. Kudos to the one who posted this as a 'possible' scam!!! @ZE52414
Is this Dave Stromberger? The one who had him banned? What a great guy and yes a great site with many hours of hard work.
The same guy who restores bikes also?

Back