When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New (to me) Elgin

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Steve Baker

On Training Wheels
Hello! This is my first real post here. I acquired a 30s Elgin woman’s bike and am wondering what I haveand what to do with it. Any thoughts and or advice? Thanks!
Steve
EF562C87-A679-4ED2-A412-F82952A217F2.jpeg

Well, why did you buy it?
Excellent question. Actually it was a gift from a friend who was cleaning out his mother in law’s house. (“You like bikes. I have a good one for you.”) It looks really interesting but I know next to nothing about bikes this age and what restoration I could do without compromising the value. Neither do I know sources for parts. I suspect those are kind of rare.
Steve

Hello. Cool old bike. Looks like this Swallow. Your bike seems lacking of the duckbill front fender shown in the catalogue and the rear skirt guard. Picture is from a 33-34 fall/winter Sears catalog page taken from the Elgin, Higgins, Hawthorn Collectable Bikes book available online. Great resource. Not sure of the value of your bike but that's only really figured by what someone wants to pay for it. Keep it as is for now unless you plan on riding it. Any attempt at fixing it up may reduce it's value if you don't know what your doing.
image.jpg

Last edited:
You are welcome. Also, welcome to The CABE! Sounds like you have some bike experience. If you are going to want to ride this bike just gently take it apart, clean and re-grease all the ball bearings including front and rear hubs, bottom bracket and headset. Service the pedals too if they are serviceable. Lots of tips on this site and elsewhere online. Clean gently. Leave the paint alone. You can use automobile polish and wax. If you're unsure of a product test in a hidden spot or ask about it here. Then put it back together and ride it. Most importantly have fun!

Looks like someone repainted the bike at some point.If it was repainted just do what you want and enjoy it.It is old but not worth a ton of money.Enjoy and get it back on the road.Enjoy !

Hello! This is my first real post here. I acquired a 30s Elgin woman’s bike and am wondering what I haveand what to do with it. Any thoughts and or advice? Thanks!
SteveView attachment 933639
Keep her intact and get her ride-able again, and most importantly ENJOY IT. This is a part of history, and last I checked, they aren't making these nice 'ol girls anymore. Welcome!! There's a lot of helpful people here to steer you in the right direction on getting her mechanically sound, etc.

Deb

Back