When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to me Monark tank double springer

-
So be encouraged, this is a good process and I believe your bike with come out great! Here’s where I at this morning with mine, I hope my friend is honored as I complete this work on his childhood bicycle!

516B59F1-A6A6-4097-82DC-963B70429B69.jpeg

I know alot of folks brow beat my process but the thing is i have results for DAYS using it. I mainly use PB Blaster and 4/0 steel wool but then i do a multi step cutting and polishing process but i have had killer results.
My 45 CWC for example had zero color showing thru when i found it and now its a rich shiny black and green!
Results speak volumes.

03D24CC1-AB20-4448-BC8C-09DDF9C1FDD2.jpeg

520C41D3-16A3-41D6-9706-A7C4C085133C.jpeg

7FA4C538-308F-4544-A4BF-4C5C4E22B5EC.jpeg

More examples of my process and my success:
This is my 54 Monark Deluxe. First pictures are as i purchased it, super crusty and rough as hell and super dry and colorless.
Second pictures its glossy, shiny and the color is vibrant and rich! ...and this isnt even a full clean, just a quick one.

F745E812-E271-4A40-8FFD-94EB83E3FCEC.jpeg

74BD87F5-F56C-4B50-93B4-86BAE144AABF.jpeg

36E94041-CCA8-4145-B70A-8D6B705D72E7.jpeg

FA6968DB-0628-4688-97EB-0C28D4833B65.jpeg

BDE42AA7-9C46-4910-B759-456FB5F2471E.jpeg

Thank you for all the tips and inspiration. "Results speak volumes." Awesome. @tacochris can you add a little detail to the rubbing compound part of the process you use? I am excited to give the whole process a try this winter. I hope to also find a pedestal light, but I'm not holding my breath and one will probably cost more than I paid for the bike.

Thank you for all the tips and inspiration. "Results speak volumes." Awesome. @tacochris can you add a little detail to the rubbing compound part of the process you use? I am excited to give the whole process a try this winter. I hope to also find a pedestal light, but I'm not holding my breath and one will probably cost more than I paid for the bike.
Thanks bud...
As far as the process goes, just think about it like skin exfoliation. Once you’ve removed (safely) the most damaged paint and crust you can and you have exposed as much paint as possible, i start out with Meguires rubbing compound. I cut back as much paint as i can to get it to fresh color but i dont go over pinstriping or stencils because the rubbing compound will destroy those. Let the rag do the work and dont force it because this is only meant to remove a micron of dead paint. Once you have safely done so, then use a good wax of your choice and wax till it looks as good as you’re happy with.
This process relies mainly on feel and your eyes and trusting when its time to quit or move forward.

I have the exact bike only blue and cream. Seems like the fender lights are all on a different bikes mine too. My paint is much better but I learned alot in this post. I used wizards compound polish and followed with wax big difference. I checked my numbers and it was born December 1946 it could of been a Christmas gift? But every one says it’s a 1947. Does everyone go by when it was sold or made

Cool, post a pic if you can. Even though it was built at the end of '46 I guess it is considered a '47. @oldfart36 said that '47 was the first year of the Super Deluxe.

Sweet! Our bikes could be siblings, although mine looks like it was left outside for a few more nights over the years. Wish I had the pedestal light. Thanks for the pictures.

Back