When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to the wonderful world-Eager for answers about my 1860s Bicycle

-

Mystery Bicycle Gal

On Training Wheels
I recently inherited a mystery machine from my late great husband. Know nothing on this subject. Eager for answers on this antique bicycle that is in my care. It has a marker on it that reads H.B. Smith Machine CO/PAT. OCT 26th. NOV 23rd. 1880 AND something 29th. 1884 JULY 7 something THEN ITS MARKED BELOW EITHER 2678 OR 3678 THE METAL IS KIND OF WORN....
I plan to include pictures of this extraordinary thing. I hate to be a bother, but if anyone should let me know exactly what I have come into. I would be forever grateful! I am older, but am actually wondering upon what it would feel like to ride this machine. If I should try too! THANKYOU
20180928_012849.jpg

Wow! That is beautiful! You came to the right place! I cannot help with info but warn you, everyone will want to buy it! Do your homework and find out the value prior to selling, if you do. However, I think you should ride it! Good luck!

Wow! That is beautiful! You came to the right place! I cannot help with info but warn you, everyone will want to buy it! Do your homework and find out the value prior to selling, if you do. However, I think you should ride it! Good luck!
Thankyou Don for the kind words, and consideration. I might be interested in selling later, but I truly think it must be ridden first. Its quite daunting though, so high up! thankyou

It looks to me like a Pony Star. Here’s some info on the American Star Bicycle.

It shouldn’t be hard to find auction results to give you an idea of the value. Here’s one that sold at Copake in 2015...

Obviously not identical with the added lamp, and originality and condition come into play, but you get the idea.
Thankyou very much for your imput. I learned a lot from you. Thankyou Thankyou

Back