When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to the wonderful world-Eager for answers about my 1860s Bicycle

-
Last edited:
Your Star is considered a High Wheel "Safety" bicycle and was an alternative to the High Wheel bicycle of the same time with the big wheel in front and small wheel in back. It was made by H. B. Smith Machine Company in Smithville NJ. In general there are two types of Stars. The American Star was made 1881-1889 (3,051 +/- manufactured). The other is the Special Star which was made 1884-1893 (4,231 +/- manufactured). Star dates and serial numbers were compiled by Wheelmen member Carey Williams. Rear wheel sizes included 39", 42", 45", 48", 51" and 54". Yours with 24" x 39" wheels is in the Special Star family and was sold as the New Star. This New "39" and "24" Star was first offered for sale late 1888. The earliest ad I have found is from September 7, 1888. This size was most likely made until the end of production in 1893. The late 1880's-early 1890's was the end of the high wheel era as the new "safety bicycle" was taking over. Serial number 3678 makes it a 1890 model (Star serial numbers for 1890 are between 3632-3931). Yours looks complete and a nice example of this model of Star. Special Stars with 45" and smaller rear drive wheels were called Pony Stars.

From September 7, 1888 issue of The Bicycling World:

From July 19, 1889 issue of The Bicycling World:

From April 25, 1890 issue of The Bicycling World:

Last edited:
You have the most desirable star made, it is a pony 39x24 , if you go to copake bicycle auctions , and search the post sales,you could find one that has sold , .. I think it is 12,500 to about 15,000 , yours is very nice , .the collectors overseas will pay good money do not be in a hurry to sell it , leave it just as it is , if you want to get the top dollar , as soon as I find a sold one , I will post it up ,the price Lester showed is the final price , that is 18 percent sales gratuity to copake , then 8 percent , new York sales tax , yours is very nice , and would sell easy in all parts of the world, good luck , let me know if you want help selling your fine machine

Last edited:
Great find but I dont think I would try to ride it. It is very old and people were pretty small and didnt weigh much.It would be tragic to have something break.

Back