When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to thecabe, I recently picked up an old Rollfast bike but can't find the serial#?

-

Dmack33

On Training Wheels
Forgive me, I have no idea how to post pictures, but the Craigslist add is still up:

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/bik/4369085971.html

I stripped it down and inspected it thoroughly, but can NOT find a serial number anywhere. There IS green ?Housepaint? on it, so perhaps it's just covered, but I tried under the BB and no luck there. The only hint I have is on the crank there's a K A2 at opposite ends of the middle section??

Any ideas what year this bike is or where a serial number might be?

https://drive.google.com/?tab=mo&authuser=0#my-drive

rollfast crank.jpg

Do you have a few more pics? I would think it MUST be on the BB, or maybe the chain stay perhaps.

I've had two Rollfasts, a 48 & a 55. Neither had serial # s, however both had the last two #s of the year reversed w/ SN after it, stamped under the crank housing.

Thanks guys, I'll try peeling some more paint to see if I can find it. I just wanted to make sure I was looking in the right place before I scraped too deep.

Dave

Ladies don't like to reveal their age...

In regards to my mystery Rollfast (CraigsList find in NC:(

BeforePic1.jpg

Thanks again for the assist, as suggested above the serial number was under the crank housing (and 3 coats of paint). Apparently this old gal started out blue, not red, or green as the outer peeling paint had suggested (I don't believe I mentioned I'm new to this, so it hadn't occurred to me that paint would completely fill in the frame stamped numbers?).

20140321_212702.jpg

SO, finally after some picking scratching and acetone help, I find the serial #: Y 26 526 !!! Yey! Now armed with "knowledge", I googled... and googled, aaaand googled, I tried Bing, even Jeeves. I'm coming up with nothing on the serial number.

The hubs are: New Departure, rear coaster model D.
The Rear dropouts are backward facing, and It has what I assume to be the holders for the old style bracket drop stand (not a regular kickstand, which was DIY welded on afterwords).
The Drive train is 1" (skiptooth), and the crank is stamped (above).
26" wheels.
Odd stem, split down the middle & a plug instead of the 1/2 circle slider thingy.

Any ideas on this old gal? I don't think it really matters at this point, I'm just curious, about age and of course value, but mainly age. 1930's?

I'm sure a more knowledgeable member will weigh in but looks late '30s early 40s to me. As far as value not too much there-maybe $50 whole and a few more $$ if you parted. V/r Shawn

Close enough. Finish?

The reversed year coding starts around 1940. I suspect this bike is a couple years before that.

That's close enough to consensus for me... 1938-ish it is.

Follow up question: To strip & Paint or not? Generally I lean heavily toward not, but given it's been painted an exceptionally sh*(&y house paint green I'm considering it.

Thanks guys,
Dave

Back