When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New VintageSchwinn.com paints and PRIMER !!

-
Ed

Yes, I have Mead Brown and Mead Tan as well as True Ivory. I always use a red oxide primer to achieve the right color. I have matched red oxide primer or can let you know some good ones at Sherwin-Williams that are a very close match.

A

Ed

Yes, I have Mead Brown and Mead Tan as well as True Ivory. I always use a red oxide primer to achieve the right color. I have matched red oxide primer or can let you know some good ones at Sherwin-Williams that are a very close match.

A

Cool. I think I'm going to need all three.

Hi
Sorry for the delayed response, I just noticed your message!!

I use Sherwin-Williams "Cool Reducer," although you can use many different combos. Best thing is to ask a Sherwin-Williams store in your locale what they'd recommend. It has a lot to do with the temperature and humidity of your particular location. I live in Portland, Oregon, where it's in the 40s and 50s this time of year, so it may just depend entirely on where you're located.

Thanks!

With most prewar bikes, Columbias included, they used a red oxide primer. Your best bet is to use a super high quality red oxide with a fill quality to it. Do not use the "box store" type primers such as from Home Depot, a hardware store, etc, or you are cutting yourself quite short. I would get the best quality primer you can get your hands on from an automotive paint supplier (i.e. Sherwin-Williams, etc.).

Back