When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie Alert

-
Hmmm. Well the tank and belt guard must be that full silver. The frame is now a very dark blue so I was thinking powder coating all a dark blue with the Springer support legs chromed. Fenders, I guess dark blue? Any suggestions?
Purple blue called Schwinn blue.

Hmmm. Well the tank and belt guard must be that full silver. The frame is now a very dark blue so I was thinking powder coating all a dark blue with the Springer support legs chromed. Fenders, I guess dark blue? Any suggestions?
Not that you will be, but if you are ever interested in a factory dimpled 1948 Schwinn Cantilever frame, I would trade you straight across for your frame. It is in great shape. Anyway, some people prefer the classic WZ frame more then the DX, so I just figured I would throw that out there. It is bare silver metal, and has never had rust.

Hey!! Merry Xmas. I'm in very southern Mexico escaping the canadian cold. I'm a wimp. Thanks very much for the interest in my project. Cool of you to ask. Have had some really productive associations and meeting some of the many really talented members out there. Parts are finding their way to the bike and I am really digging it. Wont be back to work on her until mid April but its taking shape. I tried attaching a couple snaps but this software is fighting my progress to do that now. Might be my rudimentary internet. This bike is absolutely one of the more 'thought provoking' build or project I have taken on. So much to learn, so many decisions to make in how I will be bringing her back to life. Good fun. Photos when I get better signal.

IMG_3902.jpg

I’m pre fitting each piece as it arrives to ensure I have a workable part, that I have all the correct fasteners and that any work each part needs gets done. Still a few bits coming but I am feeling like it’s going in the right direction. I have no illusion that it will be anything more than a nice representation of the marque. I’ll redo the chrome where required and repaint it using the correct masks. I really am wrestling with patina considerations. It will definitely be a rider. It is too interesting to not put it to use. Really enjoying the experience. So much to learn.

I always prefer a clean look, but with some patina. Then you can enjoy riding it without feeling like you are going to scratch it.

Makes sense. My luggage rack (a chrome 6 hole) and my chain guard are both full of patina so I might just let them be. After all, I’m building it for me. There are always alternative opinions when it comes to restore or to conserve, to use only OE or to use reasonable repro, to ride or not to ride. Gotta love it. I’ll send proper photos as it completes.

Back