When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie Help!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
B

bakerinva

Hello all, I am new to the old bicycle game and just bought my first "new" bike! Problem is, I am not 100% sure of what it is...the person who sold it to me said it is a 1946 Hawthorne. But, it is missing the name plate and I have not been able to find any other marking on it (although the tires do say Wards on them). I think I found a number on the bottom part of the tubing near the crank shaft.
The bike is mostly original, but not sure about the seat and I know the pedals are later editions. It does have the original fenders, chain gaurd and even reflector on the rear fender.
I have already pulled it apart, cleaned it, popped on new tires (I put on white walls, which I think make it look awesome!) tubes and put it back together. I have not decided if I want to repaint it. I like the original blue, but it is rough. Any thoughts?

See down on a further post...I provided some updated pictures via a photo sharing link! Thanks so far for all the info. If anyone has anymore knowledge of this bike, please pass it along! Great site! Thanks!
Thanks again!

Attachments

• Bike 2.jpg
    Bike 2.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 59
  • Bike 3.jpg
    Bike 3.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 47
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, nice bike, looks like it may be a Hawthorne, definitely a Cleveland Welding made bike decent original paint keep the tires if they are good or change them if you are going to ride it alot. I can't tell you how many old original tires I have blown to pieces trying to ride my bikes even just a little. My first old bike was a late '40s Hawthorne very similar to yours. yours is not likely to be a 1946 since that was in the middle of the war and Cleveland Welding didn't make bikes during the war. yours is probably right before the war or right after the war. I'm not the expert on these so I can't get you any closer than that.
Scott:cool:

Thank you!

Thanks all for all your help! I have lots of pictures now that it is all cleaned up with new tires, etc. Will have to create a better way for picture viewing since my files are too big to post here. Not sure what I am going to do with the old tires, they are rough. Rode it on Sunday, it rode great! Had a beautiful day for cruising here in Norfolk ~ Thanks again for all your help and will work on the pictures. LOVE my new bike!:D

you can clean the chrome up on the bike with some steel wool and brasso, which i like to use. The chainring looks to be a rollfast

Back