When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie, indicator swindle thread into my SA 3 speed hub, 1959 Corvette. Came without cable and connector. Coaster bike hub internals?

-

histacks

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Bike came without gear shifter or cables( essentially a coaster bike) but I saw the extended axle nut for an indicator spindle and cable, thought it might be a 3 speed. Upon cleanup the hub turned out to be a SA 3 speed. I ordered an old vintage shifter and cable but the spindle won't thread into the hub. Did they use the 3 speed SA hubs but change the internals if were a coaster bike? What are my options? I hate to have to open the hub but may be the only to find out what I've got here. HELP!

IMG_2796.jpeg

IMG_2799.jpeg

IMG_2802.jpeg

IMG_2803.jpeg

Last edited:
Didn't work. Changed the extended axle nut that was on the wrong side of the bike but it made no difference( the axle internals can be accessed no matter what nut is on it. I had two bike shop mechanics try it with the same result (no bite). The indicator spindle screws into a (key pin) that sets above the clutch according to two videos and a schematic that I saw. Something could be messed up with those threads on the key. The bike had only one gear when I got it, like a coaster bike but without the brake. It had 3 speed hardware( the little pulley wheel) and clips for a cable. The hardware, SA 3 speed hub and the intended axle nut on the wrong side is what made me think it was a SA 3 speed that broke and somebody rigged it. Is it possible that Schwinn just didn't re-stamp the 3 speed hubs but used them with different internal parts to make a coaster bike.. I'm pretty sure I have the correct spindle indicator screw. Guess I'll have open the hub to know what's goin on. Any help, thought , suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Message me your address I will send you a threaded clutch key, I have a few. You will need to open it up and inspect the sliding clutch and the busted key within it. This could also be affected but most likely just the key. Easy fix.

Don't be afraid to tear in to these hubs. Hopefully, the videos you watched were by RJ The Bike Guy on youtube. I've done a couple of these by keeping the laptop on the workbench and letting RJ walk me through it.

Managing the little pawl springs was my biggest challenge, just take your time.

This one works like new.

Also, the indicator chain could be busted off inside the axle keeping you from inserting the new one..

Thanks everybody out in cabe land for the help, especially SKPC. I think I have found the problem. The key pin was set at an angle and not level as to enable the spindle indicator to thread. I enclosed 2 pics showing it. Also when I got the pin out I found it was slightly bent and I could barely thread the spindle, so it needs replacing. My greatest surprise was all the parts missing on the SA hub. No planetary gears (pinion gears) to mesh with the sun gear, no clutch spring or cap, by the way, that clutch spring cap is hard to find, got it from England. There was no thrust washer that fits over the key pin above the clutch and finally there were a lot of bearings missing in one of the housings.. I don't know how the bike moved at all. I'll post some pics when it's all back together. Again, thanks guys!

IMG_2831.jpeg

IMG_2834.jpeg

Great to see you tear into it. The key is on it's way! Let me know what else you need...I have so many parts sitting around I would be happy to see someone be able to use them. I have for you the planetary gears, a spring cap, clutch cover,(holds the key in position) AND bearings ready to send to you.. PM me again exactly what you need. Good to see someone learning about the beauty of internal gear hubs...pete

Last edited:
Some turn of the century info on the 1st tri-coaster. Notice the ball-bearing supported planetary's in the early model
1606589293429.png

Back