When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie looking to buy the cheapest, maybe rustiest straight bar tank bike in SD North County.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Zaslohael

On Training Wheels
Hey! New on the forum, hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting. And a pleasure to meet you all.

I just discovered my interest in old bikes a few months ago, but still haven't found a local listing that spoke to me. I know I've liked the look of every straight bar (and straight-ish bar, you know, like with the little curve down near the seatpost? Haven't got the terminology worked out) Schwinn, Hawthorne, and Roadmaster I've ever seen.

I still haven't got much sense for what's rare or sought after, so I'm not sure what to avoid asking for. Specifically, looking for something good for a resto job that doesn't have any value as an all-original or demanded model. Not that I plan to desecrate an antique, but I'd rather not do my learning on something with a pedigree, and it'll be nearly a daily rider so I'd rather not fret over scratching a good patina. Don't mind a bit of frame repair or small parts fabrication either.

Hoping to slide in under the $300 mark; also hoping that number isn't laughable. I've seen some real junky looking sorts ask well over $1000, and yet I still can't guess why the most beautiful bike I've ever seen didn't have another zero on the end.

If anyone's willing to part with something sitting in their 'to-do' pile, or has some tips on where to search for what I'm after, I'd be glad to hear of it. Thanks!

Edit: Welp, if there's anything I've learned so far, it's that I live on the wrong side of the Rockies to be wanting what I do. Maybe I'll take a vacation out to Wichita someday and run home $50 poorer with a rusty frame in each arm!

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Back