When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie to forum - is this bike worth keeping?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Bikes with badges that had scroll-work like that were generaly offered prior to 1900. I would guess 1895-1898.
Great bike, I would make an offer, but I already have enough now. If you wish to sell the front wheel separately, I may be interested... since whomever ends up with it would want a matched set for it.

I appreciate everyone's interest and the comments. Thanks! I will take a number of additional pictures on Sunday and post them. It doesn't have grips - pretty much what you see. I'm located in New Jersey not far from Montclair. I agree with comment about it having been a relative's bike, but I don't know exactly who rode it. This was in the attic of their house in Jersey City that a relative inherited after the last of that generation passed away. Unfortunately no one in my branch of the family heard about the cleanout until he had been at it for a month. Too bad!! It was still chock full of cool stuff that we actually bought from him like a private garage sale. He spoke about the enormous piles of boxes of 'junk' that he and a local kid had put out in the trash already. OUCH - magazines, postcards, you name it. Probably the back wheel and chain for this bike as well. Oh well.

Being a collector of many things, stories like that kill me, but it was even worse since it was a relative. Unfortunately it happens all the time.

In any case, I will no doubt put this on ebay, but I will post additional photos here and let people know.

Sorry for the long post.
John

I appreciate everyone's interest and the comments. Thanks! I will take a number of additional pictures on Sunday and post them. It doesn't have grips - pretty much what you see. I'm located in New Jersey not far from Montclair. I agree with comment about it having been a relative's bike, but I don't know exactly who rode it. This was in the attic of their house in Jersey City that a relative inherited after the last of that generation passed away. Unfortunately no one in my branch of the family heard about the cleanout until he had been at it for a month. Too bad!! It was still chock full of cool stuff that we actually bought from him like a private garage sale. He spoke about the enormous piles of boxes of 'junk' that he and a local kid had put out in the trash already. OUCH - magazines, postcards, you name it. Probably the back wheel and chain for this bike as well. Oh well.

Being a collector of many things, stories like that kill me, but it was even worse since it was a relative. Unfortunately it happens all the time.

In any case, I will no doubt put this on ebay, but I will post additional photos here and let people know.

Sorry for the long post.
John

Like I mentioned before, I won't be buying it, but I think it would be nice to offer it to the CABE folks first before the general public on E-Bay....just a thought. :)

Like I mentioned before, I won't be buying it, but I think it would be nice to offer it to the CABE folks first before the general public on E-Bay....just a thought. :)

That would be nice, but I have no idea what it is worth really. I don't mind selling something to serious collectors at a discount but first I like to have an idea of value. Coins, for instance, are subjective but I have a good idea of value. Therefore on a forum like cointalk (with the exact same layout, btw - and a similarly nice community) I can sell a coin and everybody doesn't have to deal with or pay for ebay. Believe me, I don't relish the thought of ebaying it. I hope you guys understand
John

Bids

As Dave the Wave put it, no less than $300. Post it on the CABE, in the BST and take offers (no less than $300). There is an enormous amount of knowledgeable people on this website that know the true value of this bicycle. Possibly people that are interested in purchasing it, but not willing to go Ebay because of bad deals with Ebay in the past. If the best offer does not suit what you want out of it, then post it on Ebay and see where it goes. Just a personal opinion, not trying to tell you what to do with your bicycle.

As Dave the Wave put it, no less than $300. Post it on the CABE, in the BST and take offers (no less than $300). There is an enormous amount of knowledgeable people on this website that know the true value of this bicycle. Possibly people that are interested in purchasing it, but not willing to go Ebay because of bad deals with Ebay in the past. If the best offer does not suit what you want out of it, then post it on Ebay and see where it goes. Just a personal opinion, not trying to tell you what to do with your bicycle.

I like that, and will seriously consider it. As I said before, I will not be around until Sunday late and will try to post additional pix then. I like that idea and I am leaning toward it seriously. I am a collector myself of many things, and I don't need to squeeze every nickel out of everything I sell.
Well said, Bikeboy, my hat is off to you!
John

Since I will not be buying I will give you a good idea of value, but I need to see photos of all of what's left. I have (had) over 9 toc bikes, and many more pre-1930, and have bought off e-bay and here, so I think I have some idea of values...

I agree with previous posters about the age range from the late 1890s. I live a few miles from where your bike was made in Waltham, Mass and like others on this forum, might be interested in buying it. I think the suggestion of displaying it here before going the ebay route, which is in fact how most of us sell our own bikes, is a good one (okay, an opinion that is perhaps just a tad self serving:))

Either way, it was a nice find - good luck with it.

Back