When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie with a 53 Roadmaster

-
What a find !

Value is an often asked and ok to ask question here .... and I think you can feel safe that if your out of bounds of forum guidelines , moderators will give a gentle nudge to point you back to within guildelines.

Just a few thoughts to frame your assessment :

- big difference between pre war and post war , so look at post war comps
- Big difference between Ladies Bikes and Men's , sadly Ladies bikes are often in less demand
- The more original and complete, and the higher the model line in the orginal catalog these makes vast difference
- Sum of the parts : complete bikes never sell for but a fraction of the sum of the parts ( this is we your very complete bike is very attractive to buyers versus one missing even just a few OG accessories)

Great resource is the archive of Cabe Classifieds classified sold

Finally , value opinions may be all over the map and some members might express strong feelings one way or the other.... keep an open mind and a thick skin .... just cause someone writes it here doesn't mean any particular price opinion is definitive, and conversely every opinion is a helpful perspective to inform your own view .

All that said ....... My opinion is that anyone looking for a complete post war ladies CWC would not find anything close to the condition you have for less than $650 plus shipping , if they limited the search time to one year AND anyone looking to sell era ladies CWC very complete in this condition or close would wait a long long long ( 2 years plus )time if they wanted to sell for anywhere above $1450 plus shipping

If you were ruthless, and insensitive the moral imperative to keep a nice bike together and wanted to part it out ....... I see no less than $1000 just selling the easiest to move parts and keeping the harder to move parts hung in the garage indefinitely. Lot trips to ups and a lot of emailing in that so really thats just for reference

Anyone see either of my range values off the mark ? anyone think a "low" of $650 is too optimistic ? anyone think a high of $1450 is too low ?

My opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it ... But ....

Hopefully my stab gets the ball rolling.... brings some opinions from the guys here that know value.

no less than $650 + s / not more than $1450 + s

Reactions: JLF
What a find !

Value is an often asked and ok to ask question here .... and I think you can feel safe that if your out of bounds of forum guidelines , moderators will give a gentle nudge to point you back to within guildelines.

- Big difference between Ladies Bikes and Men's , sadly Ladies bikes are often in less demand
- The more original and complete, and the higher the model line in the orginal catalog these makes vast difference
- Sum of the parts : complete bikes never sell for but a fraction of the sum of the parts ( this is we your very complete bike is very attractive to buyers versus one missing even just a few OG accessories)

Finally , value opinions may be all over the map and some members might express strong feelings one way or the other.... keep an open mind and a thick skin .... just cause someone writes it here doesn't mean any particular price opinion is definitive, and conversely every opinion is a helpful perspective to inform your own view .

All that said ....... My opinion is that anyone looking for a complete post war ladies CWC would not find anything close to the condition you have for less than $650 plus shipping , if they limited the search time to one year AND anyone looking to sell era ladies CWC very complete in this condition or close would wait a long long long ( 2 years plus )time if they wanted to sell for anywhere above $1450 plus shipping

If you were ruthless, and insensitive the moral imperative to keep a nice bike together and wanted to part it out ....... I see no less than $1000 just selling the easiest to move parts and keeping the harder to move parts hung in the garage indefinitely. Lot trips to ups and a lot of emailing in that so really thats just for reference

Anyone see either of my range values off the mark ? anyone think a "low" of $650 is too optimistic ? anyone think a high of $1450 is too low ?

Hopefully my stab gets the ball rolling.... brings some opinions from the guys here that know value.

Lance, thanks so much! What a fantastic primer on valuation. I understand its just your opinion, but it's worth a lot more than you give yourself credit for! As tempting as it is, I don't have the heart to part her out. I'd love to see her in the hands of a collector who will cherish her and give her lots of TLC. I appreciate your thoughts on value as well and I'll definitely check out the classifieds. Y'all are a terrific, welcoming group and I appreciate it a lot!

What a find !

AmF postwar doesn't command CWC prices, so that effects value. The grips are not original, and we don't know if the rack light is all there, etc. I've bought a lot of CWC ladies bikes. Even a very rare Ridewell ladies 1947 in super awesome condition. Girls bikes don't command much unless they are prewar and super rare. Comparatively, for a complete and clean original paint CWC ladies bike, the average I have spent has been a range from $250 to $500.00, and those are all awesome bikes. The most I have ever paid for a prewar bike, a 1940 Elgin, all original and in almost showroom condition was $934.00 shipped, and $134.00 was for shipping. There are some rare bikes that will sell for $1400.00, but they are like 1940 Colsons, Schwinn ladies Motorbikes, stuff like that. AmF and earlier CWC ladies bikes are affordable and nice riding bikes. There are ladies bikes for sale here a lot, usually at $300 and under, shipped. Price depends also on what someone will pay for properly packing it and shipping it. The cost and hassle of that, makes selling it messier, and a local or in same state sale a lot more appealing. I've also seen some ladies bikes here start out at $595.00, and I end up buying them at $175.00 a year later, because no one else wanted it. It just depends on a lot of factors, but girls bikes usually go for maybe a 1/3 to possibly 1/2 as much as an identical mens bike, per se. And, most of you guys aren't looking to buy a ladies bike, unless your wife wants one. :) Or you're trying to get her excited about your hobby. Lol..... :)
I live an hour away from this bike, and I have 2 sets of the correct grips. If he sells it for a fair price, I am interested. If anyone else is interested, let me know, as I can sell you the grips. Nice bike!!!!!
Deb

Last edited:
I agree with the AMF vs Actual CWC. I have a '50s some AMF & a CWC both womens, the nicest part on the AMF is the springer & star chain ring which is why I bought it. The CWC is just better built feeling. Has that heavy quality. Only difference is ballooner vs middle weight. Seems to me they tend to hold up well if kept inside mainly

Back