When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie with a Fresh Alley Find

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Mike66

Look Ma, No Hands!
478127F7-FD97-4903-81BA-5BA7EBA853F5.jpeg

I live in a Midwest college town. This time of year, you never know what’s going to show up in the alleys. This was leaning against the student rental’s trash can behind my house, along with the usual pile of no longer wanted college kid detritus. Best I can figure it’s a 1939-41 Sears Elgin. Hoping someone here can help me pin it down. I’ll report back with the S/N. I think it was SC 50-something.

I’m more of a vintage motorcycle guy but who could resist restoring this! I’m planning a low intensity restoration. I’ve stripped most of the light blue off (with a butter knife). Probably do a little touch up and clear coat rather than repaint. Color under is dark blue but there is a green under that, that I have no way of reaching. I’m most likely going to just touch up and clear to keep the patina of what I believe to be it’s second paint job

I’m looking forward to scouring this forum for advice and maybe parts. Right now I’m puzzling out the missing seat post and saddle. I gather the post is solid and bent like a 7. I can find that, but not sure how to mesh that with a decent retro saddle.

Cheers!
Mike

Seat, post, and pedals aren't too difficult. I think you have the year range down. You can do a search on here for Elgins of this year and should find quite a few of these girls deluxe bikes. If the front fender has a couple holes you also need a light. You should be able to find everything you need for a a couple of hundred bucks. V/r Shawn

I believe it's a 1941, due to the front fender being OVER the fork. If I remember correctly, that was a one-year-only design for the Elgins. 🙂 .

They used this fender from at least ‘39. V/r Shawn

Back