When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newby Question: Boys vs. Mens Bicycle Frame Size

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Bozman

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I'm new here on the CABE and also new into the world of vintage bicycle restoration.

I'm interested in 1940's vintage American bicycles and I have a question regarding frame sizes. For a vintage 26" ballon tire bicycle, is there a difference between a boy's frame and a men's frame?

I'm looking to build a standard WW2 Columbia bicycle (most likely on a civilian frame) and would like to know if there is a difference between the frames.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Bozman

As far as I know when ballon tired 26" bikes came into usage, 24" were considered boys bikes, and 26" mens. Some frames accomodate a grown man better than others. Conversly I have heard that Hawthorne Zep bikes suck if you are a tall guy, IDK.

It sounds like you are just looking for a plain Columbia cruiser that you can turn into a military themed bike. Or are you looking for a wartime bike? the difference being that the wartime bikes would probably be straight tube diamond framed semi-industrial style.

Some things to consider - Westfield, Columbia, Elgin and others all used a "Columbia" frame in the years building up to WW2

I would LOVE to find an actual WW2 Columbia Military bike/frame (yeah and the $50 jeep in a crate too!) One can live and hope! They are still out there.

My next choice would be a civilian 42-45 bike/frame which would be the easiest/closest to original to convert to a military bike.

My last choice would be an early non-war year production 39-41 bike/frame. Early War production had a curved tube on the lower frame.

Thanks for the advice on the Westfield, Columbia, Elgin and others all used a "Columbia" frame. I figured it that from looking at pictures and some of my readings but it is good to have it confirmed.

Let the hunt begin!

Back