When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newly Acquired: 1980 Varsity Sport 24"

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

AndyA

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I can't read the decals, but based on a serial number search and 1980 catalog, this appears to be a Cardinal Red Varsity Sport. Evidence is that the rear derailleur is a Huret GT-510 and the overall shape of the decals matches. Similar 24" models of that year were the Deluxe Varsity, which had a front freewheeling arrangement, and the Collegiate Sport, which was a 5-speed. In person, this bike looks like a 27" bike that was left in the rain and shrunk. The photos don't really convey that, except it looks to have a huge chainring. My grandson will be big enough for this bike before long and be able to zip along on his own road bike.

-----

thank you for sharing this find

the machine's Union model K10491 pedals appear to have lost their reflectors

the cycle is plenty late enough to be CPSC compliant so they would have been there ex-works

the Hunt Wilde bar wrap appears to be the OEM item

looks like ol' Mr. Sol has got to it and turned it this orangish colour...

-----

These 24" road bikes are cool little pieces. 👍 That is a Varsity since it's the only model 10 speed that Schwinn produced with the blade fork. The MR serial numbers denote a 1981 build at some point, and a few in 1982. So check the date on the head badge for the actual build date. There was a strike at the end of 1980 that lasted into the first of 1981 so no bikes were built for 13 weeks, or a little longer. Hope your Grandson enjoys it as much as I enjoyed mine as a kid.

These 24" road bikes are cool little pieces. 👍 That is a Varsity since it's the only model 10 speed that Schwinn produced with the blade fork. The MR serial numbers denote a 1981 build at some point, and a few in 1982. So check the date on the head badge for the actual build date. There was a strike at the end of 1980 that lasted into the first of 1981 so no bikes were built for 13 weeks, or a little longer. Hope your Grandson enjoys it as much as I enjoyed mine as a kid.
Professor Wiz:
Thanks for the info. Head badge is stamped "2511." What is your interpretation?
Andy

Ah, I get it. September 8 was day number 251 of 1981. Thank you Professor Wiz.

Back