When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newspaper Bags

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I'm using mine to carry my lunchbox and jeans to the shop; early in the A.M., like a paperboy; carrying "Light For All"
IMG_8772.JPG

I mounted a 450 lumen headlight to my helmet to make sure I am seen by Drivers still half asleep.

IMG_8777.jpg
IMG_8779.JPG

Wow, I remember I went collecting with an older neighbor kid for the local “free” paper, that’s a tough one...glad I later threw the local “paid” paper. I’m into bikes now because of my paper route and the freedom that having my route bike gave me.

Here are some bags I’ve picked up. Still looking for my local one though.
View attachment 790224View attachment 790225View attachment 790226View attachment 790227
View attachment 790228
Cool bags. The Spokane chronicle was our evening paper. Gone now but the building is still there with the newspapers name across the front. My older brother delivered the morning paper called the spokesman review. Still in circulation. I delivered a weekly free paper. That was a scam job. Way more papers and not much $$. Thankfully only once a week except sometimes would take two days during the winter. Great thread.....

1547914600307.png

1547914600307.png

I wish I had one of these. There are a lot of memories tied up in this wagon. I was 10 years old. 20 cents a paper, of which I got a nickel. Let's see, that's 50 papers times 5 cents....wow, $2.50. And all I had to do is push/pull this wagon up ad down the streets of Hollywood. Every street from Highland to Vine and Santa Monica to Sunset. I felt a bit like the Good Humor Man selling ice cream. And maybe 4 or 5 times a block I would yell, "Get yer Sunday Times Paper." That was the worst part. If they couldn't hear you, you didn't sell 'em the paper, and no nickel for the monkey. But the money was good. I started collecting coins, mostly Mercury dimes and Buffalo Nickels. Those too are gone. The mom and pop store across the street started seeing a lot more of me, and my little sister with my coin collection. My favorite soda was RC Cola because it was 16 oz. That's a lotta Coke! And Almond Joy was my chocolate of choice. I know, it cost twice that of a 5 cent candy bar, but those almonds! Kits, Tom's Peanut Butter Logs, little tiny juices in wax bottles, along with cigarettes made of chocolate or some kind of flavored chalk, mmmmm. We'd go out on the lawn outside the store and play mumble-de-peg.

Last edited:
My story is pretty much the same, 66-69. Got off school, rode the 2 miles to the substation, rolled and banded the papers and loaded up the saddlebags on the Schwinn American and headed back to the route. If I really busted could get home to see the reruns of Gilligan's Island. My brother also had a route so on Sunday mornings dad would drive us and we would sit on the open tailgate of the station wagon and deliver. Then off to Jolly Roger for a donut and hot chocolate. Also put me in the hated to collect column. I got so far behind the route manager showed up and talked to mom and dad. ouch!

P1010018 (Medium).JPG

I delivered the Sacramento Bee in the mid 80's. Boy, the stories about collecting brought back memories.
On that note, does anyone remember or use steel front bag support that went under the gooseneck and over the top of the bars? It supported the front bag so it wouldn't hit the wheel/fender. I've been looking for one and have no idea what they are even called called....

I have all the original hardware but the bag..o day I’ll get the appropriate bag for it.View attachment 935260

That's the bag support I remember

I grew up on a farm and had a rural route. Sears 3 speed with two baskets in back, one in front. Remember this tool pictured?
I delivered Lynchburg News and Advance. 180 papers as I remember. Age 13-15, 1965-7, I rode to a store about a mile up the road, sat there while I folded them in thirds so I could sling them. Route maybe 15-20 miles total.
Each bike basket held about 30 papers, the rest I had canvas bag over shoulder.
Sunday morning was a killer, paper so thick I used two canvas bags.
They gave me this aluminum folding clipboard like thing for payment receipts. As I remember little perforated pink slips maybe about 1.5"X 3/4", one per week. I collected money I'm thinking on Saturday. A real lesson in human nature, from the super nice pay on time customers to the ones always "I'm broke...try next week".
My boss drove a gray Peugeot car very much like Columbo's and every month or so I'd ride with him to collect from the deadbeats.
I'd start route about 3:30 after school, sometimes getting home 8-9pm for supper. I did waste time talking to this really cute girl half way round my route. She would have a soda and a new 45 record to listen to. She had to move away with her parents about the time I quit the job.
Thanks for the memories!
59b00357dbf0dd359286cd1620730c14.jpg
2497ec6431302129cb2ad71b102e0f9f.jpg

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

This is my OG bag, I delivered the Herald American twice a week, Thursday & Sunday, usually around 80 papers on my 63/4 lime StingRay, double bags hung on the bars pretty good and was a easy ride ( no hills in my neighborhood ) but I hated getting up and folding the papers before sunup. they delivered a couple of bundles in the driveway sometime in the nite and I was glad when they came early enough to fold before bed but was still brutal with the 40 degree Cali mornings :smirk: . I bought my StingRay with my shoeshine money (I lived by 4 car dealers and car salesman always wanted their snakeskin shoes shined but thats another story) so the paper route money went for slotcars & models and of course McDonalds, I'ts still there, the oldest remaining Golden Arches. The San Pedro bags I just picked up over the years.
8C9E1C56-E9F0-442E-8458-83D29606A43A.jpeg

FEF06967-FF3C-4E2B-A8E9-CE5D1EE917DD.jpeg

67419563-8AD4-4217-A15D-FC6E07853F35.jpeg

7C132A46-1305-48FA-B5DF-C8063BC57134.jpeg

Last edited:
Back