When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nice example of Schwinn's "Bottom of the Line" middleweight in 1959

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jim Barnard

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Tornado:

IMG_8794.JPG

IMG_8795.JPG

IMG_8796.JPG

There is something unassuming about the cheap chainguard, abbreviated front fender, enameled rims, tacked on frame bracing and sparse screening. I found that the gearing seems to be more like a 3rd gear than a direct drive. I added the torsion bars and larger saddle.

Another of the keepers from Snitgers!

What strikes me as odd is that I have the same bike, but a 1961. Mine has a big badge, I wonder why. I had the badge off and it bright, shiny original red paint and the screw holes are the wider spread. Makes no difference, it’s just kinda odd.

The badge size is somewhat interesting. The first 26" one I found had the short badge drilling. In the hunt for a similar model Tornado in each of the 20 and 24 inch sizes, I found the long badge drilling in both the smaller sized bikes. Further on in the hunt, I got a nice second 26" one with the long badge. In the course of looking for a nice long badge 26"frame, I bought about three other 26" ones, and there were frame issues with one, no provision to attach a chainguard on another (which ended up getting stolen from my buddy Dave) and the other one was quite the rust bucket. This is the group that remains, all long badged except the red 26" that is shown last. I found some of both badge sizes in each size of these.
1960 20">
60 X32 Tornado 20.jpg

1959 24" >
59 X22 Tornado 24.JPG

1961 24">
61 D22 Tornado 24.jpg

1960 26">
60 X12 Tornado.jpg

1961 26 ">
61  D121683.JPG

The red one donated its parts to the black one shown above it, and is currently a box dweller in the front bedroom. The rest live in the big shed.

The 20" one started out the "20 Inch Binge," and still gets ridden around the neighborhood at times. For the bottom of the line model, I think they were cool with the double bars in the secondary upper frame tubes. They ride just fine!
REC

Tornado:

View attachment 950102

View attachment 950103

View attachment 950104

There is something unassuming about the cheap chainguard, abbreviated front fender, enameled rims, tacked on frame bracing and sparse screening. I found that the gearing seems to be more like a 3rd gear than a direct drive. I added the torsion bars and larger saddle.

Another of the keepers from Snitgers!
Great reference pictures, thanks for posting them. My 59 has the larger badge as well.

Back