When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nishiki Linear 1987 Time Trial

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
H

HPL

Trying to go a little earlier in the line up. So a "funny" bike from the late '80s. Even in my older years I can still ride this frame; did 30 miles on it a couple weeks ago (a little too many miles for my back) and about 12 miles last week. It serves me well for the hard 10-20 mile ride without tearing me up. Fun to ride and certainly a change of pace from the norm. Fairly original as sold excepting the OFMEGA derailleurs (why you'd take off Shimano 105's for the Italian parts is beyond me) installed by previous owner; looking for OE Shimano at the present time. Pulled off the 52t/42t Biopace rings and put on Shimano 53t/49t (changing 53t to 55t). I'm riding flatland with an occasional "hill", rare for me to go on the small ring. OE saddle and rims holding up fine. 1986 frame made for the '87 model year; cranks also date to late '86. Matches the '87 Nishiki catalogue. Looking for spare 24" wheels/rims; let me know if you've got any to part with; not BMX rims, road only.

IMG_20191219_123313.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Crazy cool bike you have! :cool: :cool: Been wanting to get something like this to try out for fun. My current road bike is an '87 Cannondale R500 which came equipped with Shimano 105. First year for 105 I believe. I stripped the paint (because the PO broke off the cable guides on the top tube and tried super gluing them back on and did a horrible job) and polished the frame to a mirror finish. Then built it up with Shimano 7800 Dura Ace. I can look for the 105 parts if you're interested.;)

In the late 80s/early90s, Moser offered a reproduction of the Francesco Moser 1984 Hour World record bike - 51.151 km.
6KkQSEhLcNqtj5pitE9Wbg.jpg

Scan-120322-0003.jpg

la+bici+del+record.jpg

there's one hanging on the wall above the service counter at my LBS - always earns my Moser Forma great respect when I bring it in there
c9438042fbda56d849ebc98f-fixed-bike-fixed-gear-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Crazy cool bike you have! :cool: :cool: Been wanting to get something like this to try out for fun. My current road bike is an '87 Cannondale R500 which came equipped with Shimano 105. First year for 105 I believe. I stripped the paint (because the PO broke off the cable guides on the top tube and tried super gluing them back on and did a horrible job) and polished the frame to a mirror finish. Then built it up with Shimano 7800 Dura Ace. I can look for the 105 parts if you're interested.;)

Thanks Mr. Monkeyarms,

This is one bike where indexed shifting is a big plus. I did not do the parts swap out on this frame except chainrings. The barcons are a good upgrade for a friction build on this frame, but I'd prefer downtube indexed because that's "where I live" due to primarily riding late '60s-early '80s bikes. You are correct about the 1050 group, '87 was the introduction after the initial "Golden Arrow"/105 group ended. I know I don't have any Shimano parts of that era so if you have some 1050 components kicking around I'd be very interested. Right now set up with a "straight block" 5 speed freewheel (15-19), OE was the 105 6 speed drivetrain: FW, FD, RD, and SIS shifters. That's what I'd need to bring it functionally back to original without the 105 chain, pedals, and "Biopace" rings; I have the rings. I'm also trying to find another 24" wheel, apparently not readily available, but I've seen a junior Orbea road bike with that size.

Thanks,
HPL

In the late 80s/early90s, Moser offered a reproduction of the Francesco Moser 1984 Hour World record bike - 51.151 km.
View attachment 1115331
View attachment 1115329
View attachment 1115330

there's one hanging on the wall above the service counter at my LBS - always earns my Moser Forma great respect when I bring it in there
View attachment 1115336

Got to love the Mosers! I have a couple '80s models built-up; one Columbus tubed, the other Oria. Forma frames maintained that classic form.

I look at those "funny" bikes and mine, and it hurts my back. Then I get on and the I think a natural pain killer is released because I do fly on it; at least for a short fling. Prefer that style over aero bars.

if you look down the page, there's a thread on my Moser Forma. I have it built with Cinelli 44 Dream Bars - short reach, short drop - it's cozy, and the silkiest fast bike I've ever ridden - also the quietest.
"98 Forma was the last lugged steel Moser offered, though they continued with the TiG-welded steel Leader a few more years.

Last edited:
Time trail aka funny bikes were popular like 7 years ago when the fixed gear trend was big. Problem is with these bikes being custom fitted and made for a specfic owner made them hard for re sale no matter the components, The fixed surge is over and time trial bikes belong on a Velodome not on the streets.

Thanks Mr. Monkeyarms,

This is one bike where indexed shifting is a big plus. I did not do the parts swap out on this frame except chainrings. The barcons are a good upgrade for a friction build on this frame, but I'd prefer downtube indexed because that's "where I live" due to primarily riding late '60s-early '80s bikes. You are correct about the 1050 group, '87 was the introduction after the initial "Golden Arrow"/105 group ended. I know I don't have any Shimano parts of that era so if you have some 1050 components kicking around I'd be very interested. Right now set up with a "straight block" 5 speed freewheel (15-19), OE was the 105 6 speed drivetrain: FW, FD, RD, and SIS shifters. That's what I'd need to bring it functionally back to original without the 105 chain, pedals, and "Biopace" rings; I have the rings. I'm also trying to find another 24" wheel, apparently not readily available, but I've seen a junior Orbea road bike with that size.

Thanks,
HPL

I will be working in the garage today and think I saw those parts while digging for a longer crank for a bike I'm working on. Will dig out what I have and let you know. ;)

Time trail aka funny bikes were popular like 7 years ago when the fixed gear trend was big. Problem is with these bikes being custom fitted and made for a specfic owner made them hard for re sale no matter the components, The fixed surge is over and time trial bikes belong on a Velodome not on the streets.

I certainly agree on not riding the streets with that frame; which I generally do not, no city or commute riding. The velodrome where I'm at won't let that bike on the track, and they've been illegal for use in sanctioned events for some time now; even my "aero" helmet is illegal. I ride on "bike" only trails with very little to no bike traffic during my ride time which allows me to do exactly what that bike was made for. I do get a friend to drive a pace car for me to give me something to chase, but hard to unless you are on the "open road". One great plus is no toe overlap on cornering with the 24" wheel; but that wheel/frame geometry make for some interesting steering at times. Most of these bikes I've seen now have been converted to commuter "fixies" sporting a rear disc wheel, and/or riser bar; why, I don't know. I guess it is a "hipster" thing!

Back