When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nishiki Linear 1987 Time Trial

-
I found the 105 brakes, levers and pedals but apparently put the shifters, derailleurs and crank some other place than I thought.:flushed: Will check other places when I get a chance soon........

I found the 105 brakes, levers and pedals but apparently put the shifters, derailleurs and crank some other place than I thought.:flushed: Will check other places when I get a chance soon........

Thanks Eric,
No rush, I'm still playing around with the gearing; putting my 55t ring on it; I'm a slow cadence guy in high gear and the 53t still has me turning a little faster than I'd like on flats and downhill. I'm in your position with a bike I built for a friend; I had all the parts when stripped, but the refit found me short a couple (probably because I would have left them off anyways if it was for my use).

Take care,
Howard

Installed the 55t ring on this bike; much happier with the performance for my riding style. No longer in high gear on the flats, and the downhills have more resistance for extra speed when I do go into high gear. Before the ring change I had a friend driving a "pace truck" (not drafting, just a target to try to keep up with) when I've been riding to get an idea of what I can put down on it when going all out. I'm getting 23 mph average speed which includes some slow downs due to traffic lights and rotary; maybe a true average of 25 mph if I was on the open road. I will do the same ("pacer") with the new ring to see if it's giving me better or worse efficiency. Right now I've just done my normal solo rides which are never all out. My only real problem are the sprint starts; still "burning rubber" due to weight forward posture when out of the saddle. I have to do my "TT" runs in the early morn to avoid traffic; this is the only time I'll do riding in the suburbs, much preferred on the trails/open roads; but I refuse to have my friend drive 50 miles to the country (where I live) just to satisfy my curiosity.

Great to hear you are actually riding this, looking forward to hopefully adding a lo-pro track frame to my collection soon.
I love seeing crazy machines out and about, Chapeau!
I'm trying to remember where I saw a frameset for sale; a Panasonic for around $300 (red, white, and blue paint); I lucked out paying under $190 for a complete bike ready to ride except adjusting the saddle, post and bar positions. Obviously the frame size would matter some for you, but although I ride 52-53cm primarily, the Nishiki is larger, but I feel comfortable (as can be expected on that frame) riding it as hard as I can for 25 miles or so.

getting it across the pond would be Darren's dilemma - he needs to look at Italian (Moser?) or in his home yard.

getting it across the pond would be Darren's dilemma - he needs to look at Italian (Moser?) or in his home yard.
A Moser 'Va Por La Hora' track bike would be lovely indeed, although somewhat beyond my price range me thinks!
I'm trying to remember where I saw a frameset for sale; a Panasonic for around $300 (red, white, and blue paint); I lucked out paying under $190 for a complete bike ready to ride except adjusting the saddle, post and bar positions. Obviously the frame size would matter some for you, but although I ride 52-53cm primarily, the Nishiki is larger, but I feel comfortable (as can be expected on that frame) riding it as hard as I can for 25 miles or so.
A Panasonic track machine would also be on my list though, especially a lo pro example. I am also a big fan of the NJS scene, such machines are sometimes frighteningly expensive over here.
Shipping isn't as costly to England as you might think, especially lightweight racing framesets; it's the lottery of import duty that's a killer usually!
If you can remember where you saw it @HPL please let me know.

Shipping isn't as costly to England as you might think, especially lightweight racing framesets; it's the lottery of import duty that's a killer usually!
bureaucrats gotta eat. :cool:

that's one place we're really lucky - our import duties don't begin until a large 4-digit item value.

Lucky you, although with the impending chaos of our exit from Europe, who knows what will happen over here.

A Moser 'Va Por La Hora' track bike would be lovely indeed, although somewhat beyond my price range me thinks!

A Panasonic track machine would also be on my list though, especially a lo pro example. I am also a big fan of the NJS scene, such machines are sometimes frighteningly expensive over here.
If you can remember where you saw it @HPL please let me know.

Here are the two I saw on the VELOSALOON.COM website. I have purchased from them before (framesets, parts), but in bulk; both giving me a better deal, and saving a lot on shipping to the US. Make that three: Panasonic (54.5STx56.5TT, c-c), Hopmans (54.5STx55.0TT, c-c), Concorde (57.0STx58.0TT, c-c). I don't know how you'll feel about the pricing since it is not what I am paying as a "commercial" client. I only make offers for large purchases since they are flexible in holding certain frames/parts for me until I can put in a bulk order. Check out their website, their inventory changes regularly; although I hate the fact that they leave stuff they've sold still listed since it shows up in searches; but it's gone already! Also, read the descriptions carefully; they do sell some "imperfect frames/parts" that may, or may not have geometry changing damage; and/or other wear affecting parts installation/mounting (generally on much older frames/parts). They are honest about condition, just ask if you have concerns; they do reply, although it take a few days at times. Be patient, small business out hunting and sourcing for more stuff. That Panasonic uses TANGE 2 tubing, same as the Nishiki Linear, maybe a little heavier than some tubing, but definitely stiff; at least for my purposes, it motors up the rolling hills, but I've yet to have used it for any heavy climbing. Didn't see any track frames, only TT.

PANASONIC LO PRO.jpg

HOPMANS LO PRO.jpg

Photo credits: VELOSALOON.COM

Last edited by a moderator:
Back