When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No Glove....No Bicycle Love?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jesse McCauley

McCauley Cycle Works
Typing a little slower this evening but I'll get through it -

I want to ask you guys what glove(s) you wear for your bicycle work?

For years I have been washing my hands 20x a day and never really getting clean, countless scraped knuckles, cuts etc etc etc.

This past week I experienced the first "debilitating" consequence of this gloveless habit I have nurtured.
It started mid week with what felt like a splinter-like pain in my thumb but for the life of me I couldn't see anything there.
Over the course of a few days of "powering through" my left-hand thumb had become badly infected and was spreading unfortunately.

I spent most of yesterday dealing with doctors and it is slowly improving with their advice and I appreciate it but now I need to think about tomorrow.

What kind of gloves to do you use? I have and have had so many styles of glove all with their own drawbacks.
Oil reacts very badly to most synthetic gloves, leather gloves offer me no digit mobility.

Any suggestions? Thanks guys, happy tinkering.

I use nitrile gloves at work even though I'm like you and personally don't like wearing gloves. But when I do, I use a good quality nitrile I believe the Boss gets at Costco. Every once in a while I do a machine refurb tearing it down to every nut and bolt and these machines are disgustingly dirty, greasy and a total neglected mess, so gloves are always worn during the tear down and cleaning, not so much when the reassembly starts.

These are my favorite, about the thickness of a balloon so fairly durable and with some texture on the fingers. Best part to me is if you snag them on something it’ll tear a small piece out but won’t totally shred the glove like most of the others I’ve tried. Solvents do weaken them and make them swell a little, but you can use gritty hand cleaners on them to wash off motor oil/grease and reuse them.

I use the Venom Steel black nitrile gloves from Lowes and Walmart. I have smaller hands and if its not too hot out I can slip em off and re-use them.

C4D44E0B-CEF4-47EF-B88F-6EFBCFC7D3F6.jpeg

I have had very good luck with the nitril gloves from harbor freight. They are quite heavy duty but not so much you lose touch. They are a decent price and while other places had no gloves last year they always seemed to have them. The large fits my hand perfectly. I noticed that Hdeephole(Home depot) used to carry the grease monkey black nitril. Great gloves ,good price ,nice fit, different sizes. Sounds like a great product for consumers I'm sure that is why they discontinued them and brought in a bunch of C-r-a-p

Love these for just about anything... Have some disposable nitrile for the messiest work. They last a really long time and once broken in have great dexterity

Love these for just about anything... Have some disposable nitrile for the messiest work. They last a really long time and once broken in have great dexterity

I second that. I use gloves daily for past 2 years. Good grip, protection, and durability. With double glove using poly food handling gloves. In the beginning I used skin tight nitrile but got too expensive for my budget. So switched to home depot nitrile coated much more durable and double glove for extra skin protection. I even reuse the poly gloves. If they get wet I let them air dry. When nitrile coated gets too greasy oily, I mist spray and wipe with simple green diluted.

MaxiFlex gloves work pretty well out of the box, and are stretchy enough and come in enough sizes to to fit most hands. Try them on for size at the store. If the gloves don't fit, you aren't going to use them. You may have to go to a construction supply store like White cap to find them, and take the time to find a pair that are comfortable and you can work in. I spent years using oversize White Mule "work" gloves that were a total PITA.

Back