When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No more Ebay for me

-
I sell a large variety of items and have come to know what will sell elsewhere and what needs to be on Ebay for the exposure. I have items I can not put in front if the right people with out it. I do not rely on my sales for anything more then money to fund my habit. There for I'm ok with them taking a percentage I just plan on it so it is not a surprise. I admit the percentage is high but show mw another place I can sell chrome muscle bike fenders to a guy in Iowa. I never delt with Ebay in the past just recently, so I do not remember when they gave a poop about the seller.

From a selling perspective, requiring an SSN when you're nowhere near the 1099 level was what blew it for me. I'll buy parts there still, but I'm a yard sale level person, not a business. I'll sell on the CABE or similar.

From a buyer's perspective, there are three big issues: hidden dropshipping, spamming of junk far east goods, and insanely priced goods lacking incentive to rationalize the price (those listings that are hundreds of dollars above realistic price that never come down and become effectively permanent listings).

From a selling perspective, requiring an SSN when you're nowhere near the 1099 level was what blew it for me. I'll buy parts there still, but I'm a yard sale level person, not a business. I'll sell on the CABE or similar.

From a buyer's perspective, there are three big issues: hidden dropshipping, spamming of junk far east goods, and insanely priced goods lacking incentive to rationalize the price (those listings that are hundreds of dollars above realistic price that never come down and become effectively permanent listings).
One of ebays "sales techniques" they try to include sellers in, is to post the same sale in as many places as possible with a different price. Some will be a break even and some will bring 1000% profit. The average is what Ebay tries to sell you. They want permanent sales and auctions that are outrageous because it slowly walks us into higher prices. So when we buy that Johnson rod for too much because we were impatient, we will be telling ourselves, "at least I only paid 200 for a 150 piece and didn't buy it on the $1500 sales auction. If there are more expensive auctions for the same item you can rationalize buying something at an inflated price.
This is an old marketing trick.
Disingenuous and below the line of ethics.
As far as Im concerned, because others do it and "capitalism," isn't a good enough excuse for bad behavior.

MY new biggest gripes after 20 years are ..
Buying? ALOT of "new" ZERO/0 feedback sellers..(yikes) I know we all have to start somewhere but man..buying comics(for me).. almost seems like almost half ..lol are new..
MORE importantly..THIS month ..Ive had to return THREE ITEMS that were WRONG,misrepresnted/damage hidden and POORLY packed..in ALL 3 ..I had to pack up/mail back and then WAIT for up to 3 days AFTER THEY receive it to HOPEFULLY have my refund in the bank..THEN I leave WELL deserved negative feedback and they get it removed..? Are you kidding??

Selling? Most of it has been covered but,yeah..Id MUCH rather take LESS for an item outside ebay then have to wait about 10 days for my money to be in the bank= free loan to make interest off of for ebay(Which Ive acutally discussed with 2 financial people.."Thats exactly what ebay is doing..making money off your money" yes banks do it,but if you have savings in a bank,you can at least withdraw it when you want.. :( Facebook now does the exact same thing..

One of the reasons that I love the CABE!
Now I go to yard sales for REAL treasures!! two nice 50 foot garden hoses for $2 !!! :D

MY new biggest gripes after 20 years are ..
Buying? ALOT of "new" ZERO/0 feedback sellers..(yikes) I know we all have to start somewhere but man..buying comics(for me).. almost seems like almost half ..lol are new..
MORE importantly..THIS month ..Ive had to return THREE ITEMS that were WRONG,misrepresnted/damage hidden and POORLY packed..in ALL 3 ..I had to pack up/mail back and then WAIT for up to 3 days AFTER THEY receive it to HOPEFULLY have my refund in the bank..THEN I leave WELL deserved negative feedback and they get it removed..? Are you kidding??

Selling? Most of it has been covered but,yeah..Id MUCH rather take LESS for an item outside ebay then have to wait about 10 days for my money to be in the bank= free loan to make interest off of for ebay(Which Ive acutally discussed with 2 financial people.."Thats exactly what ebay is doing..making money off your money" yes banks do it,but if you have savings in a bank,you can at least withdraw it when you want.. :( Facebook now does the exact same thing..

One of the reasons that I love the CABE!
Now I go to yard sales for REAL treasures!! two nice 50 foot garden hoses for $2 !!! :D
Exactly.
Ebay now makes it easier to switch accounts if you have too many neg feedbacks. Its one of the questions with links they ask you when you are closing your account. Thats a reason for so many low feedback apparently experienced sellers. They also make it easy to have negs removed and are now only counting feedback for the past year instead of entire history.
Its a typical morph towards money.
Its one of the deeply disturbing topics of modern culture, make money at all cost.
I seriously thought about closing and re-opening my bank account to close them out of the last lump of fees I owed them. But that would just be another dark cloud hanging over the situation.
Just Screw Em'... "metaphorically"

Damn, I need a couple long garden hoses.....

I don't buy or sell anything on e bay any more except a ton of 1 18 diecast muscle cars. You just have to buy right and sell right, as well as being very descriptive in terms, condition etc: Fortunately I have never had to make a refund or request one in well over ten years. I never list with a BIN option. I always have a starting price ( not a reserve ) with a best offer option. I make some little change in price + or - every day. Anyone that has looked at it gets an updated e mail re: change. With all it's flaws etc: there is no other format that give me the audience e bay does. I'm pretty structured so I can adapt to rules, policies and regulations. No one is forcing me to use them.

Back