No Recourse PP FF etc

This ad disappears when logged in

bike

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Feb 26, 2007
Bicycleland
I like to deal with knowledgeable experienced buyers. I of course have no control over this if I deal with unknown people here.
I sell as is as I bought it with all faults. I personally do not try to hide any faults, and disclose those that are known with pictures and or text.
SO I do not take credit cards or pp fees where a buyer can hang up a transaction for any reason- found one for less, changed mind, wife said no etc.
ASK YOU QUESTIONS AND ASK FOR PICS if you have doubts before pulling the trigger. Just like a swap meet where cash changes hands.
I have bought things here without asking questions cause they seemed like a good deal- If there is a problem I have usually ate it or sometimes asked the seller for refund or adjustment. I always expect that the seller has full discretion, as do I, to make that call.
Be a Big Boy (or Girl)
My 2c
PS to EXPECT a 50 to 120+ year old toy to WORK is unreasonable- I sell stuff as artifacts- if it works that is a miraculous, if common, bonus.

Last edited:

catfish

Riding an Alexander Rocket Bike
Sep 25, 2006
Boston, Massachusetts
thecabe.com
99 % of the deals I make on here never have an issue. If I can't close a deal after two or three e-mails, I know it's going to go south.... And the kiss of death for any deal, after answering all the questions, taking more photos from every angle, and building a 3d model....( just about), is when the buyer says "'I need your phone #" - "I want to talk to you about the item".... Sorry. I answered all your questions.

Mercian

Finally riding a big boys bike
Jul 1, 2016
France
Hi, I appreciate the sellers angle. All transactions are a matter of trust. As you put it, when you are a big boy or girl, you should play nicely.

And yet, what happens as a buyer when you've paid by PP FF a reasonable sum of money to a seller, and then they go dead on you, which is where I am with a seller here at the moment?

In this case, they are a long term member of the site, have sold items to others (and me) here without a problem before, and have just stopped visiting, and answering repeated site PM's and personal emails. By paying PP FF, I am now out of pocket, sans goods, with the added complication of being in a different country, so can hardly visit the person concerned.

With the seller being in the US, myself in France, and having paid by PP FF, is there any way of recovering the money? I would welcome any advice. I would prefer the goods, and I certainly would prefer not to cause problems for someone over what is just a hobby, (and may have genuine reasons to be tumbleweeding me) but eventually you have to look at the other options.

Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Autocycleplane

I live for the CABE
Jan 6, 2010
NorCal, United States
I gotta agree with Paul G here. I am very hesitant to take PP Goods and Services anymore because PP will almost always side with the buyer no questions asked. A fellow Caber just got burned this way after posting clear pictures and cutting a phenomenal deal on a parts pile. Sellers beware, there are unscrupulous members here on the Cabe. If someone has 4000+ posts but only 100ish likes that should be a red flag.

I tend to only sell to people I know or seem trustworthy from past posts and track records here on the Cabe. I will gladly do F&F as a buyer if the trust is there as well. Accepting postal MOs are a hassle because they require a trip to the bank to deposit, but it looks like these may make a comeback given some of the recent shenanigans.

bikejunk

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Nov 1, 2014
passaic NJ
I have reached kind of a stalemate with PPFF -in ongoing litigation with them I sent money(1,200) for a bike to a member on the cabe and it got miss directed somehow to someone else and paypal refuses to say it was their fault and because it was a gift I have to ask for it back from that company it was sent to and as of now they do not want to return the money and have stopped returning emails so all my transactions over 100 dollars are pp gs so this will never happen again what a frekin mess

stoney

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Jul 19, 2013
Fuquay Varina, NC, United States
I gotta agree with Paul G here. I am very hesitant to take PP Goods and Services anymore because PP will almost always side with the buyer no questions asked. A fellow Caber just got burned this way after posting clear pictures and cutting a phenomenal deal on a parts pile. Sellers beware, there are unscrupulous members here on the Cabe. If someone has 4000+ posts but only 100ish likes that should be a red flag.

I tend to only sell to people I know or seem trustworthy from past posts and track records here on the Cabe. I will gladly do F&F as a buyer if the trust is there as well. Accepting postal MOs are a hassle because they require a trip to the bank to deposit, but it looks like these may make a comeback given some of the recent shenanigans.
If you do accept a USPS money order your local post office will cash it. Provided they have that amount of cash available.

Jay81

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Apr 26, 2015
Roseville MI
If you do accept a USPS money order your local post office will cash it. Provided they have that amount of cash available.
I was just about to say the same thing. I'm heading there anyway to ship the part, take the MO, pay for the postage with it, and get the difference back. No bank required.

spoker

Mar 3, 2011
Minneapolis, United States
you can also cash a postoffice mo at your banks,i had to cancel paypal and get a new debit card,one of those deals like relief factor product,they send u a free sample or a discounted one,once they get your info they put u on auto ship every month,so b careful!

Free Wheel

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Jul 19, 2015
New York City, NY, USA
As a buyer, don't play the Friends/Family Paypal game. It's possible to get burned - the payment is for gifts to.... friends and family mainly. It sure looks like a gift and not a purchase of goods if you use it. Lots of ways to get burned, bub.

Autocycleplane

I live for the CABE
Jan 6, 2010
NorCal, United States
As a buyer, don't play the Friends/Family Paypal game. It's possible to get burned - the payment is for gifts to.... friends and family mainly. It sure looks like a gift and not a purchase of goods if you use it. Lots of ways to get burned, bub.
And as a seller the same can happen with Goods and Services. I wouldn’t sell anything to you on here via G&S with 6 posts in 3.5 years, bub.

Last edited:

Archie Sturmer

Jun 13, 2018
Los Angeles, CA, USA
I got 100% refund from seller via PayPal for items, advertised a 23 tooth sprockets, but the picture showed a 18 tooth sprocket (who would buy 18 tooth sprockets that come as throw-away items, least material condition, with new wheels). I did not axe questions as volume sellers often use a one-size fits all picture. Applied that refund, return of junk explicitly not required, to tires from same big-time selling outfit, who I may occasionally buy from.
As a customer, I am often right. There may be a saying, "the customer is often right, long before the price is forgotten".
I got a 100% refund from an apparent smaller-time seller via PayPal for a wrong 3-speed wheel shipped to me, (for which I did axe questions via eBay messaging), instead of the cheaper one sans shifter parts, which I actually paid for (but also mentioned in my message), then the seller sent me the right item and explicitly allowed me to keep the expensive item. [Someday I may find a matching front wheel].

I believe that part of the problem, may be toy computer platforms, that hide instead of highlight the seller's explicit contract terms and conditions, (i.e., where does it say "artifacts" - I don't see it on the stupid phone display screen). Some sellers may pray on such non-falcon millennials, and forget to mention that the $1000 bike is actually a 4-5" model.

I have fond memories of the folks I've sent funds via PayPal friends and family.

Last edited:

GTs58

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Sep 2, 2012
Central Arizona
So what recourse does a buyer have when he sends a $1000 USPS Money Order to a seller, then the seller cashes in and disappears without sending the item/bike?

piercer_99

I live for the CABE
Dec 27, 2015
Sanger, TX
So what recourse does a buyer have when he sends a $1000 USPS Money Order to a seller, then the seller cashes in and disappears without sending the item/bike?
Well it is a federal crime, and prosecuted as fraud by the postmaster inspector general. Only up to 1,000.00usd, they won't issue them for more.

• If you suspect fraud, call the U.S. Postal Inspection Service at 1-877-876-2455.

18 U.S. Code § 500.Money orders

Jay81

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Apr 26, 2015
Roseville MI
And believe it or not the postal service has their own police force for stuff like that. You don't wanna f*** with the post office. They take fraud very seriously.

piercer_99

I live for the CABE
Dec 27, 2015
Sanger, TX
along this current line though.

Presently, the USPS is failing miserably on package handling. things go really far out of the path of travel. The combined processing and distribution centers they have established in large areas are a nightmare, things get misplaced for days, or sent to the wrong city or state, then come back and finally get to where they are actually going. I have one package out right now, dropped it at a main post office, and there is still no record of it available online, 2 days later. Sadly, with regular priority mail, you have to wait 7 to 10 days for them to even investigate where you package may be. Never mind the huge price increase recently on packages.

Shipping is getting to be a gamble all by itself.

detroitbike

Sep 26, 2011
Detroit , Michigan
How did you pay? I had a problem with a member from down south.
He burnt me on an EXPENSIVE seat and told me tough. I went to my bank and told them and they were able to reverse the transaction.
I had paid CASH from my bank account Friends & Family.
AND If you paid with a credit card call the credit card company and start a chargeback ..
That's where your credit card company goes to bat for you to reverse the transaction.
You dispute the transaction because the goods weren't received or as described.
Good Luck..

Saving Tempest

Feb 6, 2012
Earth (Middle)
USPS isn't going to have 1,500 dollars on hand in a lot of cases though, not in one place. I think most MOs are limited to around $500 each, aren't they, and then you have to be creative/do something else.

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture