No strings attached

• REMINDER: There is a 2-day bump rule for Classifieds forums. Please take a moment to review the rules by clicking HERE.

This ad disappears when logged in

Ed Minas

Finally riding a big boys bike
Jun 25, 2016
Farmington, United States
I am needing to restring my wife’s 1897 skirt guard on the rear and the chain guard. Does anyone have good pictures that provide lacing patterns?

Thanks in advance

Archie Sturmer

Jun 13, 2018
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Maybe find an old Sears Catalog (they may have closed).
guards.jpg

The above shows how it was done in the 20th century.

Ed Minas

Jun 25, 2016
Farmington, United States
Here's one I did. I've done a couple this way and they've came out nice IMO. There's a small strip on the underside of the fender for the loop. View attachment 907305
View attachment 907306
Those look awesome. Can you provide any details on how you did it? Did you put loops on the fender and then bring another series of string to the loops? What type of string/ twine did you use?

Rambler

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Nov 1, 2011
Auburn Hills, United States
Ed, if you know the brand and approximate year of bike you are lacing the chain guard and fender for, it may be helpful to first find the bicycle manufacturer catalog image for that bike so you can use that as reference as to how your particular bike should be laced originally. I did that for a bicycle of mine and it took a while to figure out the correct string pattern from the catalog image but eventually I got it correct.

Junkhunter

Apr 5, 2015
New Haven, CT
I used a natural cotton twine from my local hardware store. If you look closely down where the fender attaches near the crank, you can see the inside, or bottom side of the fender. That should help a little.

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture