When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Noice help

-

Ernbar

I live for the CABE
So I have been noticing a clanking noise whenever I stop peddling and coast on my skiptooth 1946 Rollfast. Only happens when I stop peddling and hear and feel a clank as if coming from the bottom bracket.

I took the bottom bracket apart thinking the bearings were bad. Inspection revealed the bearings looking like new and well greased since I serviced it about a year ago. I assembled it and still the clank was present when I stop peddling.

Thinking that maybe it’s the pedals, I then used another set and had the same noice appear.
The clank happens only once when I stop peddling, start peddling again and all is good till I stop and coast then the clank sound surfaces and It’s felt on the pedals.

My other suspicion is the New Departure hub? The hub hasn’t been serviced but it stops on a dime and is quiet otherwise.

Any ideas?

Thank you rustjunkie for your post and observations. Yea “snaps” is more of the sound it’s making. I just overhauled the ND hub on my Columbia so the procedure is fresh in my mind and should be easy to diagnose. I won’t be able to get to the hub for a couple of days but I will post my findings once I get inside the hub.

Last edited:
Fimages%2F2b1d90d077a8526624d52c4e29c83ae6%2Ftenor.gif

Back