When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Non-droopout front hub attachment

-

VITAL.SPARK

Look Ma, No Hands!
I picked up the 1894 Columbia Model 34 without hubs. I am setting it up as a rider and the method of attaching the front hub is something that has puzzled me. The fork leg has no dropouts only 11mm (7/16") holes. The front axle I'm going to use is 8mm (5/16"). See the attached pictures. The bearing adjusters are screwed into each end of the axle and the axle doesn't have full threads. How was the hub inserted into the fork legs? Spreading the fork legs enough to insert the axle is asking for trouble! I know I'll have to machine up bushes so that 8MM fill's the 11mm holes.

Does any one out there have any details on how the original was designed? This should answer my questions?

If not, how would you suggest the best method of doing this installation?

2019-04-07 14.14.28.jpg

2019-04-07 14.14.59.jpg

I often find myself stretching narrow forks (3.5/90mm?) over modern wider hubs (4.0/100mm?); perhaps finding an old or older narrow (3.5/90mm) hub might help. Or was 1894 even narrower than that?

If you plan on using thin 7/16 to 5/16 sleeves or flanged bushings (1/16 wall thickness), that would allow one end to be inserted at a time, if the bushings are installed on/from the outside of the fork. It may require less stretching if the axle cones and thin nuts are pre-positioned to reduce the number of threads that the fork needs to be stretched over, one side at a time.

Also, I usually have the opposite problem, that the 3/8-26 axles furnished with modern wheels will not fit the 5/16 holes.
Perhaps swapping a 3/8 axle for a 5/16 axle might work (with a narrower hub).
Axles come in different lengths; the longer they are the more fork stretching (or axle threading/back-threading) would be required.

I have a wide selection of early hubs in various sizes if you want to find one that fits snugly.

Some axles did “float” but more often than not the fork legs are spread over the axle.

Sometimes I basically assemble the hub onto the fork if the axle is way too long, threading the axle through the races of the hub into the axle opening of the fork.
I see 1890’s hubs often with a small flat head on one end of the axle I believe for just this practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You adjust the axle so the left side is longer than the right (has more threads). You place the longer threaded side into the fork first, then the right shorter side will go in much easier with a gentle tug of the fork leg. the shorter side is right (curb side) so will not appear out of place to those viewing it. remove right side first when disassembling.

Thanks guys for all your reply's! I still would like to find someone with an original Columbia from the mid-1890's that would be able to give me a as-built prospective on the hub size and axle dimension to ascertain if bushes were actually used?

an original Columbia from the mid-1890's that would be able to give me a as-built prospective on the hub size and axle dimension to ascertain if bushes were actually used?

Phillips 1.jpg Phillips 2.jpg Phillips 3.jpg
I have also seen some British-made hubs by Phillips, that had the enlarger shim or bushing apparently built into the otherwise flat side of the cones.

Back