When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Non slotted fork on pre war bike.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

BenTPhork

On Training Wheels
Although not new to bike mechanics in general, this is my first shot with an older bike. How does one remove the front wheel assembly from a not slotted front fork? I guess the axle can be un threaded, but it would seem their is an easier way. I feel as though I should be able to figure this out, but I don't wanna ruin the thrreads on the axle. Thanks DUH!!!!:mask:

Although not new to bike mechanics in general, this is my first shot with an older bike. How does one remove the front wheel assembly from a not slotted front fork? I guess the axle can be un threaded, but it would seem their is an easier way. I feel as though I should be able to figure this out, but I don't wanna ruin the thrreads on the axle. Thanks DUH!!!!:mask:

Un-threading seems the way....the good news is that it keeps people from stealing the rim & tire.......

Unthreading is the proper way in my opinion plus you can then clean and grease the bearings and also set the bearings so the wheel runs properly with no slack.

Well in this neck of the woods,,My wife would hold the left side of the fork,,I would hold the right side,,and we would pull apart til my 87 year Old Man would lift out the rim and tire,,Then we would service,,and repeat the process the other way,,It was like splitting The Atom
That's what I was thinking....

There's a tool called a fork spreader, that is worth it's weight in Gold.
It cradles each fork blade, and you just turn the crank until it applies just enough even pressure to spread the blades apart for the axle to be removed easily.
It does help, if the axle length is just long enough to get the job done without too much excess.

Back