When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Noob Belknap Bike Questions

-
Hi! Congratulations on your Belknap! I was excited to see one older than mine which was dated by Phil Marshall (rms37). I'm still pondering exactly what I am going to do with mine but keeping it as original as possible is the idea.

This may or may not be of any help but I've included a pic of my Belknap Head Badge. Mine is a 1936 Snyder built bike and it seems to me most of the headbadges before '36 were different. Good luck with your build and Have Fun! Robert

439h-1.jpg

439m-1.jpg

Thanks Ram, If you come across another badge please post up or shoot me a PM. Even if its not the correct year it would be closer than what I have currently. This project is still moving at a snails pace. I am doing an internet build competition with a Goped right now on a site where I help moderate and that is consuming all my extra time currently.

I have spoke with a few other members here and it looks like most of the accessories (Fenders, rack, etc...) are not original so a true restoration will not be necessary for this project. I also have been informed that shiny isnt always viewed as desireable here but this bike may get shiny powdercoat. The reason and story for that goes past "enthusiasts desires" or "authentic looking". If I can get this done, I will probably provide a little more backstory on this piece of family history.

I'll be back posting in the thread as I need help running into obstacles here.

In the meantime, if anyone has a belknap head badge please PM me.

Thanks,

Time has been really getting away from me this year. I have recruited the help of a Bike shop here in the Austin area called "Windmill Bicycles" to help me locate some parts and do some other things. I have taken this a direction of modernizing the bike. Progress is moving but excitement has really kicked in at this point. The enthusiasts may not agree with the direction this is going but the value in this bike is the sentimental piece from family history. It will be something that is truly enjoyable for me and other family to ride and different than anything I have ever seen.

Ended up not being able to locate the Belknap Headtube badge but Windmill Bicycles ordered me a "Bravaria" badge with a big "B" looking way more modern that will fit the theme of my Newschool Belknap. Would love to attend the upcoming swap meet in Hurst (3 hours north) as it sounds like it will be a blast but looks like that wont fit the calendar :(.

I'll get some update pics when I get to a good photo point.

Ended up going with a brooks saddle. Frame is all blasted down and I will be getting some cracks and breaks I have found rewelded.

Does anyone have any insight as to whether I should have the joints/breaks brazed or welded. Authenticity is not as important here to me as the bike has more sentimental meaning than anything else. The whole frame will be recieving powdercoat anyways.

Thanks again for the help gentlemen and ladies.

-GopedBelknap

Making progress slower than I wanted but I am extremely happy with where it is. Frame has some added support and will most likely be getting some more fab as I do plan to ride this.

The coaster brakes on the back are just not enough for me personally so the front is getting a disc brake set up to assist. My Grandfather was in town this past weekend. I was able to show him the progress made on the bike from his childhood. He told me he was going through some stuff and came across this badge. I cleaned it up and plan to rivet to the back fender.

I asked him about the badge and he didnt recall exactly what it was from but speculated since his father was in in WWI that through the VFW he signed my Grandfather up for the "bicycle safety club". Any additional info you folks could provide on the badge would be interesting.....

Here are some pics.

Attachments

• Belknap & 60CR 001.JPG
    Belknap & 60CR 001.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 89
  • Belknap & 60CR 004.JPG
    Belknap & 60CR 004.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 90
  • Belknap & 60CR 003.JPG
    Belknap & 60CR 003.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 83
  • 31 Bike Badge 001.JPG
    31 Bike Badge 001.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 31 Bike Badge 002.JPG
    31 Bike Badge 002.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 96
I got it to pretty much a place of completion. Only thing that remained from the start was the frame and that even recieved some modification for strength. I love the way this thing rides. Thanks for the help here fellows and ladies.

Attachments

• KLF & Belknap Finished 008.JPG
    KLF & Belknap Finished 008.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 71
  • KLF & Belknap Finished 009.JPG
    KLF & Belknap Finished 009.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 63
  • KLF & Belknap Finished 011.JPG
    KLF & Belknap Finished 011.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 54
  • KLF & Belknap Finished 017.JPG
    KLF & Belknap Finished 017.JPG