When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Noob Belknap Bike Questions

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

gopedbelknap

'Lil Knee Scuffer
1931 Resto - Noob Belknap Bike Questions

Hi there, I am obviously new to this forum but my grandfather and I just picked up the old family bicycle that was originally purchased by his father in the 1929-1931 time frame. Today he gave me the original registration envelope with a registration card from 1941 (4 digit phone number). I remember seeing this bike hanging on the garage wall when I was growing up. For the past 11 years or so it has been hanging on a barn wall in a little Texas town. I am going to start tear down on it within the next few days or weeks and plan a restorative project (one that will probably be frowned on by true antique enthusiasts, but it is not being done for resale or value purposes rather a tribute to my family and recently passed father).

The question I have is where would I begin my search to find the front name plate for the Belknaps prior to 1933?

Thanks for taking the time to check this thread and any help is so greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Thanks, I will most likely be able to post pics when I get back home with the bike as this will be a very documented rebuild but was wanting to know where I could start looking for a front neck/stem "Belknap" tag/plate in the meantime. Another forum I am apart of has a classifieds section where we can buy/trade normal and hard to find parts that we are insearch of for builds/repairs. I was wondering if there is somewhere besides ebay/CL that you all use to find these items for your classic and antique bicycles.

usually if you can't find it on ebay or CL try swap meets, not sure of your location but let us know and we usually update on the latest swap meets and also you can prob find a lot of your parts on thecabe, just ask and you'll prob find what your looking for. But as soon as you show us pictures we can tell you what
should be on the bike and what shouldn't, and possibly if its complete you may not have to replace anything.

Here is what I am working with. I am in the Central Texas Area. Please let me know what you can about this bicycle. I am looking specifically for the front "Belknap" tag
Pedchevy final 009.JPG
Pedchevy final 010.JPG
Pedchevy final 012.JPG

I think I have made my new years resolution to get this bike restored by the end of 2013. It is still sitting in the same condition as pictured above. I often have questions that come across my head about this restoration.

-Can I use newer wheels on this frame?
-Are there new bottom brackets and headsets that will work on this frame?
-If I run a newer wheelset and bottom bracket is there a newer sprocket that will work so I dont have to use skip tooth chain?

I know these arent traditional restoration type questions but the goal of this restoration is to make it rideable and presentable while keeping costs lower. My hobby dollars are more tied to scooters at this point but I have a strong desire to get this Belknap redone.

Hey guys and gals, I do appreciate any time and help you have to offer and Happy New Years to you.

Keep the original running gear. It is almost impossible to wear

out if kept properly lubricated. Spend your money elsewhere in

your restoration. My $.02

Where do you guys get your seats redone. I am wanting to get this one done in a nicer leather. I think I will need it blased and powdercoated first though.

If the leather top is sandwiched between two metal pans it's easy to recover. If it it is not and you don't want to get creative, find a "double pan" saddle. There are some places that will re-do your seat for about $300.00.

Back