When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Northwest Partol

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Clean and put it on ebay?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Minnmarc

Look Ma, No Hands!
Its been a few years since one of these has been in the forum so please tell me what you think. A friend has had this in his basement for more than 30 years. Bought at a police auction. Has detailed REI work order / receipt from that time showing new tires and tubes and headset bearings as part of a full overhaul of bearing surfaces, grand total of $67!
He thinks he wants to sell but would like some input from the forum. Thanks
20170630_114438.jpg
20170630_114216.jpg
20170630_114547.jpg
20170630_114337.jpg
20170630_114327.jpg
20170630_114205.jpg
20170630_114122.jpg
20170630_114103.jpg
20170630_114113.jpg
20170630_114134.jpg

Why clean it? I'd just throw it up on Ebay as-is and let it go. The new owner my like it kinda grungy! Not sure what you mean "its been a few years since one of these had been on the forum" because I believe we have seen a '40 DX or two since then. V/r Shawn

Why clean it? I'd just throw it up on Ebay as-is and let it go. The new owner my like it kinda grungy! Not sure what you mean "its been a few years since one of these had been on the forum" because I believe we have seen a '40 DX or two since then. V/r Shawn
I think its been 3 years since I've seen that head badge on a Schwinn in this forum. In that case the bike was a girls in MUCH worse shape and the consensus seemed to be the badge was worth much more than the bike.

Its been a few years since one of these has been in the forum so please tell me what you think. A friend has had this in his basement for more than 30 years. Bought at a police auction. Has detailed REI work order / receipt from that time showing new tires and tubes and headset bearings as part of a full overhaul of bearing surfaces, grand total of $67!
He thinks he wants to sell but would like some input from the forum. Thanks View attachment 489549 View attachment 489550 View attachment 489551 View attachment 489552 View attachment 489554 View attachment 489553 View attachment 489555 View attachment 489556 View attachment 489557 View attachment 489558
Beautiful! Thanks for sharing the Photos! Barry

Yeah, I'd just put it on eBay as is.
In fact, if you want to avoid all the hassles of that, I'll give you $500 for it right now, and we can just call it a done deal.
Thanks for the offer cyclingday but the bike isn't in the For Sale forum. As a bike loving preservationist and a fair mechanic with a growing appreciation for patina, I get itchy when I see a dirty bike that just needs a couple hours of love to bring back the hidden sparkle. Plus you can't deny that clean bikes / parts sell better. This bike will be sold and I will be the broker. I will repost photos after I clean it carefully. p.s. - wait till you see his Jaguar.

Thanks for the offer cyclingday but the bike isn't in the For Sale forum. As a bike loving preservationist and a fair mechanic with a growing appreciation for patina, I get itchy when I see a dirty bike that just needs a couple hours of love to bring back the hidden sparkle. Plus you can't deny that clean bikes / parts sell better. This bike will be sold and I will be the broker. I will repost photos after I clean it carefully. p.s. - wait till you see his Jaguar.
Ask around and I'm sure you'll see that more and more prospective buyers prefer their bikes untouched in as-is condition. A lil crust and oxidation just adds to the bike's character. If the new owner prefers their bikes spit shined and polished, they want to be the one to do it. Just a thought...

Don't clean it. Just sell it.
Yeah-some of us sicko's like cleaning and spiffing up, busting knuckles on rusty bolts, cussing a grungy ND hub with a broken D12 transfer spring, appealing to the spiritual entity of your choice to release the stem rusted in the steering tube, figuring out how to magically grow that set of original fenders to fit over those impossibly fat sausage tires you just had to have-yes friends, we are a tribe of masocists who do it all for that sublime first ride.

Back