When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NOS Polo Saddle

-
Thank You guys!
Nothing better than cool old bicycle stuff.

I purchased the above 1960 Polo Seat along with many more Polos from a good friend in 2008. They came out of an old closed down warehouse which had Schwinn, Henderson, Harley Davidson and other two wheel makes on several dusty floors for decades.
I will post up some other NOS seats soon.

Rob,
I think you and I were dealing 20-30 years ago on some odd ball bicycle items?

That 60’s big bike photo of your friend is cool. It shows exactly how it all began with the tall wide bars, seats and struts. Prelude of things to come.

Chris.

Ok. I kno wher your talking about , cool

That seat and sissy bar are History! Great piece. It even has the dog eared Persons seat tag!

Does anybody know when the sissy bar went from saying “patent pending persons USA” to just having the “persons USA” logo? Which bar would a May built 1963 stingray have?

I would say a May 63 built Stingray would have used the first style “pat. pend.” strut.

Years ago I had details like your question figured out on the early Stingrays. Not so sure anymore?
I did extensive research with all the components on these bikes.

The square back struts had different stamps (rightside, upside. rings around stamps, etc), plus 3-4 types of drain holes (very small round hole and ended with a rectangle punch just like a high loop).
The crimps at the Q-bolt holes were different in late 63 and into 64.
Even both turns on the square back were different.

These old photos I took show some of those differences.

BTW, nice 65 Black Stingray you have in your avatar.

Chris

41E2AF55-1DA0-42E4-B8C3-CFCACA6EF1F1.jpeg

364C59A7-2497-4217-9516-B8D0A7DEC25E.jpeg

677E1ACC-E77A-4764-A817-6014A1118ED6.jpeg

C8FD9483-99E0-49B0-8EED-CF6D32BFCFA4.jpeg

Thanks for the info on the square-back bars - really awesome. I'm trying to get the right bits for my 63 Sting Ray and have the early patent pending bar, so I guess I can add that one to the pile for re-chrome work. Yep - sorry, blatant borrowing of the avatar pic. I have a Feb 65 black tribute Sting Ray i'm working on too- always loved the black Sting Rays the best.

Thanks for the info on the square-back bars - really awesome. I'm trying to get the right bits for my 63 Sting Ray and have the early patent pending bar, so I guess I can add that one to the pile for re-chrome work. Yep - sorry, blatant borrowing of the avatar pic. I have a Feb 65 black tribute Sting Ray i'm working on too- always loved the black Sting Rays the best.

No problem. Good luck.

Back