When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NOS Schwinn Cruiser Frame

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
So I guess this will just be one of those unsolved mysteries.......... :cool:

Since it's not a Schwinn built frame it might take a lot of digging to find out who made these and when. I'd contact Bicyclebones and see if he can shed some light on the subject since there is a very good chance these were built for Maple Island.

Since it's not a Schwinn built frame it might take a lot of digging to find out who made these and when. I'd contact Bicyclebones and see if he can shed some light on the subject since there is a very good chance these were built for Maple Island.

After the Schwinn Chicago factory closed in 83, most of the frames used on Schwinn branded bikes were not made by Schwinn either!

And as I have read in a post by someone in one of the links you provided, these frames were a Schwinn authorized reproduction, and IMO are a pretty good copy of the late 70's Schwinn Spitfire & KLUNKER frames.

After the Schwinn Chicago factory closed in 83, most of the frames used on Schwinn branded bikes were not made by Schwinn either!

And as I have read in a post by someone in one of the links you provided, these frames were a Schwinn authorized reproduction, and IMO are a pretty good copy of the late 70's Schwinn Spitfire & KLUNKER frames.

"Authorized" As Dan, 'Bones', Uses ain't cactly what ya think it is. He's obtained a license of some type from them to make the claim but, their China bikes are 'authorized' too.

Who knows if Schwinn actually "Authorized' Maple But the frame in question is very likely to be theirs. Pluss Maple made all of the DX and flat bar tanks Dan's selling or sold and other Cantilever tanks too. There's still a link to the site yet, don't click anything on it as, it's hacked er somthing. Regardless Maple makes no claims of "Authorization r any such contractual union with Schwinn. Most likely, Schwinn's elder patent and design trademarks are and were expired at the time they copied em OR? They did and ?? : http://maple_island_sales.tripod.com/tanks.html

Dan, 'bones' I asked him about his 'Authorization' some time ago, yet didn't see it any of my business to ask more. I guess, paid Doral industries a small license fee, to continue copying decals. Yet others copy and sell decals so, IDK what other use it is except, as sales pitch. (Nothing wrong about a good pitch)

Last edited:
Maple Island did have a license from Schwinn to produce products using the Schwinn name. You didn't need to get an approval or have a license from Schwinn to make a copy of the Cantilever frame. Dan is licensed and is now reproducing quite a few Schwinn parts other than just the decals. I see nowhere that someone said these frames were Schwinn, Schwinn Approved or made under license. If it has the Schwinn name or AS or anything using the markings of Schwinn it has to be licensed. Anyone can make a Schwinn tire that looks just like a Westwind or Typhoon, but as soon as you put the name on it is has to be licensed. As far as these frames being a Schwinn frame, no chance, it's just an imitation. It was not made for Schwinn or made under license with Schwinn.

An imitation Westwind and a licensed repop Schwinn Westwind.

Maple Island did have a license from Schwinn to produce products using the Schwinn name. You didn't need to get an approval or have a license from Schwinn to make a copy of the Cantilever frame. Dan is licensed and is now reproducing quite a few Schwinn parts other than just the decals. I see nowhere that someone said these frames were Schwinn, Schwinn Approved or made under license. If it has the Schwinn name or AS or anything using the markings of Schwinn it has to be licensed. Anyone can make a Schwinn tire that looks just like a Westwind or Typhoon, but as soon as you put the name on it is has to be licensed. As far as these frames being a Schwinn frame, no chance, it's just an imitation. It was not made for Schwinn or made under license with Schwinn.

An imitation Westwind and a licensed repop Schwinn Westwind.

View attachment 1227147

View attachment 1227148
To bad, at that time all I had was a 80's Paramount (left behind in apartment, in lieu of rent, bad vibes so, I gave it away. ), 63 hornet an a 53 Schwinn girl and wasn't inclined to collect. . However had I intrest, Lamar wasn't far from me.

Yet, understanding that Maple Was operating with a license then, I'm even more inclined, for the extra effort to copy the stay ends, time will tell but, to think the frame is Maple Island.
Maybe Dan knows the answer.

Thanks for all the replies with your opinions, theories, and speculations in reference to this frame!

Maybe someone will eventually have some documented info to pinpoint the date, and actual manufacturer of this frame...........?

If you are really serious about that frame, contact Dan (bicyclebones) and see if he can give you some info. He's also a member here so send him a PM. Here's his partner or sales associate that was selling some tanks that came from Maple Island. Note the table top that's used by Dan in most all his eBay listings.

1594580980207.png

1594581041260.png

Back