When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NOS Spring Forks

-
Back to a earlier question the old style springer was available on Phantoms till the end if you ordered a locking fork from the factory, non locking was new style 55>

You may consider this: IDK exactly when 70 or 71 But around this time. I recall moreover, Might have been the last time I visited a Schwinn store untill mid 1990's. Mexico was making VW bugs and when I saw the new line of Schwinn's, quality of chrome and Curdling, or RxR tracks as we kids call em, was the worst and rumor had it they too were made in Mexico. I may have asked store owner, 'why' and if Mexico and think he didn't know. He didn't like the criticism yet, did not or could not dispute the obvious difference of chrome and quality or confirm they were not USA made. I'd thought They'd built rust bucket but turned out, not as good as before but not as bad as i expected. The main point was, yeah, it wasn't just some crappy chrome because he was quite aware there had been a change. .

So, potentially, you are describing, at least, one of the aspects that occurred in early 70's: " the tube wall itself thicker. I can feel the difference in the weight. But they have all the same characteristics of Schwinn forks. "

However your photos lack detail. In 1980 the Steer tube is different B/C the Pivot changes from solid cast to 3 pieces; steer tube now has the pivot tube electro forged on each the side. Now it's looking more like the china fakes and other import copies except for one thing, Kurdling is on the shoulder/neck. At least for that, you can identify the 80's Schwinn Springer.

Also, before the 3 piece you can find the same or similar Kurding on the 1 piece steer tube below: I.E. this older than 1980's but, have a common feature in 1 piece as does the 3 piece, Identifying marks.. E-bay seller on this claims it's 1970 pea-picker fork yet how can anybody be sure?

View attachment 1260480

In all of your photos you failed to illustrate them. So, who knows if it's the same from 1955 too 1980, other than the obvious 1980 3 piece?

I think that it's reasonable for a dealer to get an factory order, if none left over in their own store stock, for a springer to accessorize any 70,s, speculatively too around 78. Just exactly when did the factory stop making then is too difficult to nail down and maybe stopped 24" Krate at same time. . I mean, we only know for sure, by 1980 the pivot tube was 2 pieces B/C they began welding it on. And later by the 90's they were electro fused as whereas the major difference in 80's have sloppy welds 90's are very clean Pressed electro-fusion and remained that way until, this year maybe, B/C this years springer are the the crappiest ever.

Anyways, It would seem; the Lighter weight with thinner pivot tube you have, would be the correct timeline for your 70's Typhoon. Even if it's NOS from 1974 say, it would be correct. That difference should be logged somewhere for those who want matched dated parts on their bikes too.

U Got all chrome and another that's not, yet there's another that fits in-between; the whole tube is not chromed and no kurdling. Seller claims it's Schwinn thought, is it?:

View attachment 1260481

On top of that, U got one where only lower half is chrome and upper is primed, red lead, maybe that's, like, a Jag or the like.

Moreover maybe U got one of the missing links which may be in kurdle, or not and when was that period? Maybe 1st generation did not have it, 2nd didn't but 3rd and 4th did? There's lot of variation going on and I expect narrowing these things down will date em within a period of when made.
I have all my springers off their respective bikes. On the springer that came on my 1969 Typhoon Deluxe 3 speed, which I believe is a springer from the 70's. I just noticed it doesn't have the knurling but it does have the casted bottom end.

1652446069952203345674.jpg

1652446112964834041928.jpg

16524462902291481106314.jpg

I just checked the steering tube of the springer I just posted, and it does take the larger 1965 and older stem. So i guess the knurling around bottom of steering tube is to identify the 1966 and newer smaller diameter steering tube's

I just checked the steering tube of the springer I just posted, and it does take the larger 1965 and older stem. So i guess the knurling around bottom of steering tube is to identify the 1966 and newer smaller diameter steering tube's
Yeah and man, I can't imagine how that got so scratched and beat, jeez.

Regardless, I've put a lot of info regarding the 'New Style' 1955 and above springers but it fails when you try and date the variations through the years. I recall, back in early 60's when building Stink-rats, kids in my hood could ID a few marks, like air holes in fork legs, rods and chrome thickness or quality but have long forgotten the tricks we knew.

Especially, with the rise and demand for Sting-Rays in that era and rising interest in middleweight springers, that nobody has started a thread which is solely dedicated to the entire history and timeframe that Schwinn's Springers were made and to include them all including, where now, U cant tell difference between aftermarket in What China is making.

I mean, back then, no different than today, U just wouldn't put a half paint, half chrome 20" frame Springer from 50's (Apparently extremely rare today) on an all chrome 60's Sting-Ray, or rat. It had to be correct or the hood would tag U and ridicule fact and fiction. Today, one wouldn't put a Half paint 'New Style' 50-60's springer to fit 26" frame for the same reasons. Not to leave out 24" frames that later became the fav on Krates. Yet, there's hardly any research to ID all of the differences.

I don't have the resources but heck, it seems, the stink-rat and middleweight club is overdue.

Last edited:
Back