When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NOS Stingray fork identification.

-
Yes, definitely the wrong chrome fork cap, but has dimensions of a Stingray fork, not a middleweight. Hmm..

Hello. I bought this primered-only Schwinn Sting Ray fork from a shop years ago and am trying to id. Left dropout code 9 + 4 Pic isn't the best but the stamping is very clearly 9 + 4 I assume it's a 1974 fork from the date code, but am a little puzzled by the 9 + 4 and wasn't sure what the plus was for. 5 1/4" steerer tube length, 12" from axle center to top of crown. Chrome fork cap, for caliper brake use. Original Schwinn sticker says "....... ...... BOYS CAL.PC" The block letter Schwinn font on the sticker suggests post 1973. Perhaps a replacement fork sent to a dealership? Any shops that painted these with Schwinn's blessing? Any help would be appreciated!View attachment 1747231

View attachment 1747232

View attachment 1747233

View attachment 1747234
September 1964 is my guess

September 1964 is my guess
Sorry, but that guess ^^^ does not compute.

See post #3 which speaks of the knurling that started in 1966. The OP fork has that knurling at the bottom of tube.
1964 forks never had that knurling.

Plus Stingrays did not have the front caliper brake until very late ‘64 for the upcoming ‘65 model year.
The OP fork has the hole for the caliper brake.

Yes, definitely the wrong chrome fork cap, but has dimensions of a Stingray fork, not a middleweight. Hmm..
A Sting Ray would have the wider ID Middleweight fork and the fastback would have the lightweight fork.
2026-N # for a 66 Sting.
2087-N # for a 66 Fastback.

60sstuff posted a picture with Sting Ray's middleweight S-7 width. What's your fork measure?

1670554497313.png

Back