When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nos Varsity

-
Didn't know these bikes came with the plastic chainstay protector. Wonder how long that was going on?

I believe they were first used in 1971. There were two different versions, one for thinner stays (e.g. FB) p/n 03 046 and one for thicker EF stays p/n 03 047,

You don't see many of these. What do you do with a NOS 1981 Varsity?

I just wanted to add that this is actually a 1980 model (DRxxxxxx serial = April '80, also while I can't read the whole badge number it appears to end in "0"). I also noted that it has a Shimano "UG" (UniGlide) freewheel, which has slightly twisted teeth for improved shifting, I believe the Shimano UG cluster was new for 1980, replacing the Maillard (Schwinn Approved Model F3) cluster used the previous year. Good thing it isn't a "Deluxe Varsity" as then it would have come with the Shimano FF (Front Freewheel) system and Positron II derailleur.

1980_14.jpg

1980_13.jpg

Last edited:
I believe they were first used in 1971. There were two different versions, one for thinner stays (e.g. FB) p/n 03 046 and one for thicker EF stays p/n 03 047,

Until now I thought they were an accessory sold after the fact. Not something that was included at no extra charge. So 71 and up you got these on the bikes out of the box?

Until now I thought they were an accessory sold after the fact. Not something that was included at no extra charge. So 71 and up you got these on the bikes out of the box?

Yes indeed, I *believe* they were standard equipment starting in '71, but it may have been '72 or '73 when they started using them. I'm basing that on original bikes I've owned and studied as well as the fact they are not in the '70 parts catalog but are in the '73. Unfortunately I don't have '71 and '72 parts catalogs to check. BTW, if anybody has a '71 or '72 dealer parts catalog and could verify if they are listed I would appreciate it! They are listed in the pages along with decals and headbadges.

Yes indeed, I *believe* they were standard equipment starting in '71, but it may have been '72 or '73 when they started using them. I'm basing that on original bikes I've owned and studied as well as the fact they are not in the '70 parts catalog but are in the '73. Unfortunately I don't have '71 and '72 parts catalogs to check. BTW, if anybody has a '71 or '72 dealer parts catalog and could verify if they are listed I would appreciate it! They are listed in the pages along with decals and headbadges.

I can tell you the November '72 Super Sport I restored last fall had one, just on the drive side, and it would've been there from new, as the bike had all of 35 miles on it when I had it here.

I can tell you the November '72 Super Sport I restored last fall had one, just on the drive side, and it would've been there from new, as the bike had all of 35 miles on it when I had it here.

Thanks for the data point! They were only used on the drive side to protect the chainstay from the chain. Anybody with what they believe are original '71 models that came with these?

Back