When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nostalgic Reflections : Head badge Reproduction experiences?

-
MICKEY MOUSE Tricycle Badge

HAVE HAD THREE .. maybe four of each .. including new-old stock ... I no longer have any Colson badges.

All of my Colson's went to a good-friend's collection.

They are tuff to find .. if you cheap-out in your search .. word gets out and you will get zero contacts.

Expect to pay for the rarity you desire.

Re-Pops ... bad choice.

Put the word out .. indicate condition desired .. and offer a price you are willing to pay.

The reason I have scored the exotic badges I own ... "I will pay your price."

There are two, different Badge Designs for the MM Trike ... also .. some of these juvi-badges will say "Colson
Company" -- some will say "Colson Corp." DO YOUR HOMEWORK.

IN ADDITION ... the badge you want takes a SINGLE RIVET.

All of the following pics are from Google Images or The CABE.

............ may there be wind in your sails, Lad !!! .............. patric cafaro

mickey trike.jpg
mickey_mouse.jpg
2320588_2HK113TZL.jpg
mmtrikecolson.jpg
mickeybadge_.jpg
$T2eC16ZHJGkE9no8iLsDBQLEyB(cmw~~60_57.jpg

...and if you want to be 100% correct on the badge style used on your particular trike, the one that's shaped like a policeman's badge is the earlier one. Two ways of telling which would be exactly correct for your Mickey: One, go by the seat style - the more streamlined seat Mickey like the one in the above post gets the badge on the left; Two, if seat is missing check the head tube for any telltale outline where the badge was attached. I had previously thought Mickey trikes were only available in 1934, but the acquisition of a news service photo dated December 1935 shows a store display that holiday season with several Mickeys on display, all having the later streamlined seat and later badge style. Apparently Colson produced them into 1935...enough to last into the late year holiday season, so I'm guessing the '34 models had the regular long spring seat and police style badge and the '35 models sported the streamlined seat and later badge style, though it's entirely possible the change in styles didn't exactly correspond with a production year.

Dave

Last edited:
Thorough

hoofhearted, thanks for all the info and pictures!

Unfortunately my buddy was coming up in the bicycle tradition when it was customary to resurface & repaint as part of restoration so getting a badge with the appropriate wear on it would look out of place on his already "restored" Colson trike.

I will probably reach out to axepul on my buddy's behalf, test the waters anyway.

Thanks for all your input, the concerns voiced by other CABErs are in line with my initial concerns, we probably won't be going with Nostalgic Reflections.

Axespul?

I haven't tried to seek out a particular member until now, the advanced search function seems simple enough but I'm not finding him, only references to him.

Silly mistake on my part or do we have an absentee?

not recommended...still waiting for my badge i ordered on may 2nd.. his communication is ok..always has excuses..vacations. he did finally send the badge 3 mo later..but it was not correct..not nickle plated as i paid more.. had to send it back. for a re-pop badge..its very expensive and not worth it.
total pita!

I had maybe 20 nos flat trike sized Colson badges they were white single rivet and maybe a half dozen shielded badges i got from Don Vaughn many years ago. I am not sure which one was earlier. So having had approx six trikes 2 orig pain 2 house paint one yard art patina all three sizes, just assuming based from having over 20 trikes by colson and as many bikes the single rivet badge was used on some early 28” bikes as well as 20’s trikes so my assumption is its the eraly model. Micheal the historian at the Disney Museum agrees as the trike in the Disney archive has the shielded badge no license plate or green seat so we assumed the production was stopped and trikes put together with what they had inventory for as they ran out.

Back