When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not a schwinn.... Killer tank

-

volksboy57

I live for the CABE
What is this? https://www.ebay.com/itm/144081937439?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=4onymg25qyq&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=1t6UWbrwSGS&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
1664519225876.png

1664519241225.png

Schwinn vintage tank bicycle. It's an adult size with 28" rims. It's is in amazing shape. Ready for restoration. I found out it has a C serial number. Schwinn burnt in 1940 and all documents for this model were lost in the fire. It's a very collectable bike. All sales are final, no returns

I'd like to find a simple utility rear rack as is shown attached to this bike, whatever it it. I've seen that style, bent from flat bar, in pictures of various heavyweights. Was this an aftermarket rack from those days? Can anyone clue me in as to what that is and who made it?

Thanks for the info Archie. I have been using Pletschers and the like on my lightweights all my life, but the cast alloy doesn't seem right on the heavyweight, newsboy bike I'm working on at the moment. The flat bar stock of these utility racks gives the right heavy duty, old timey vibe.

After finding a few more examples on Ebay, it seems that where so many of the stylishly formed sheet metal "racks" that go with "aero" and "jet age" tank bikes, are now showing their age in the form of swayback bends, dents and cracks, these simple, flat bar utility racks generally still look as straight and true as on the day they were painted. I won't have to worry much about marring the plain paint job when I use the rack for carrying something. And, it doesn't hurt that these utility racks are nice and big. All good things in my opinion.

Back