When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not one but two spaceliners

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
They have the same rear racks but have the 2 red lenses.My seats dont have the crash rails either because my 7's dont have the springer.They are not the delux 7's but the same as yours.

They have the same rear racks but have the 2 red lenses.My seats dont have the crash rails either because my 7's dont have the springer.They are not the delux 7's but the same as yours.

Thanks Vincev,Boy these sure can get confusing.

I think the seat on the 7 is correct.I have 3 of these with the same seat.

That's incorrect. Gene stated he has model #46902, which is the deluxe 7-tank, and it came with the dished, padded seat I posted earlier. Both the seat and the rack on Gene's have been swapped out for incorrect parts. Here's a promo picture of the deluxe which also shows the correct seat and rack. The same seat was used on the standard chrome 7-tank model #46942 (distinguished from the deluxe with truss bars instead of springer fork, and a '64-'65 style painted rack)

1966-68 Spaceliner Model 46902 (a).jpg

The base chrome 7-tank model #46943 had a dimpled seat with no crash bar. The only 7-tank model that had a flat seat similar to the one on Gene's bike was the base painted model #46305, but it didn't have a crash bar. It also had a different frame. What Gene has are 100% seats from a '64-'65 deluxe straight tank model #46901.

By the way, all the specs and reference photos for all these models are in The Ultimate Sears Spaceliner Reference thread. It describes and shows exactly how each model was equipped.

Last edited:
Vincev,how about the racks are all three the same on the 7 frames.

Vince has different models than yours, with different racks. If he has the two rocket lenses, then he has the standard 7-tank, model #46942. Yours is the deluxe, model #46902, which should have the chrome rack with top-mount light, and the patterned seat I posted earlier. Refer to The Ultimate Sears Spaceliner Reference for model numbers, specifications, and pictures.http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?35629-The-Ultimate-Sears-Spaceliner-Reference

Here's to add to the confusion.I didnt know the painted were different equip than the chrome.

Whoever labeled the picture you posted as a 1963 girls Spaceliner didn't know what they were talking about. The Spaceliner wasn't introduced until 1964 (as the straight-tank version which ran for two years) and the 7-tank version in the picture wasn't introduced until 1966 and ran for three years from '66-'68.

There were actually two different seats used on the three different chrome models, and a third different seat (as I described in my previous post) on the painted versions. The only bikes that were ever equipped with the seats on Gene's bikes were the 1964-65 straight-tank deluxe and standard chrome versions (models #46901 and #46940). The base chrome model and the painted model had different seats.

I feel like I'm banging my head against a wall, but if you guys want to know exactly how a specific Spaceliner should be equipped, get it's model number off the rear drop out (the five digits that follow 502), then go to The Ultimate Sears Spaceliner Reference thread, read the background information and history about the various models, and then look up the specs for your specific model number to see the distinguishing differences. By clicking on the model number it will take you to a page with a variety of photos, diagrams, or catalog scans showing exactly how the bike should be equipped and look. There shouldn't be any guesswork or confusion involved... if you know the model number you can easily find out exactly what it should look like and how it should be equipped.

Last edited:
Back