When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not ready to throw in the towel just yet, but not sure where to go from here.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
You are just in a rut. It happens. You have to get the "weight thing]" under control. Stop the bread , the salty snacks, and No sweetened drinks, [diet soda included} I have the asthma thing myself.....hope you have no cats or birds in the house, if you do consider saying bye, bye to them. Asthma is nothing to fool with, it can kill you, out of the blue......I'm twice your age and have always had the majority of my bikes stuck in a basement, always at least 50-70 of them jammed everywhere. Real hassle. One other thing, Not to get religious here, but personally, I do take time everyday to thank God for what I have. So many of my buddies are dead, cancer getting them all..... Have fun, cause your're just overwhelmed a bit. .:)
yes tinker your right !!!!! all my buddies have passed a way !!!!from cancer, all you said for weight is right , I like you tinker dave prase God for my wife and I with no heath promblems , MY BUDDY IS 85 AND STILL RIDEING HIS BIKE !!!!!

Jay, have you had a good physical exam and check up in the last year? The desk job can certainly change your metabolism, weight and the burning of calories. You said you gained 30 lbs. Depending on your weight a year ago that could be roughly 10 to 20 percent or so of your body weight. Low energy isn't always due to additional weight. You are a young guy and I would check all bases.

Sounds like the bike part is just normal hobby cycles many of us go through. Heck I’ve sold everything and disappeared from the hobby for a year or two many times only to return as annoying and obsessed as always. I’m on a sell and vanish plan now actually.

Truck - just throw one in the back of the bed and go.

Health - you could be in a feedback loop where physical health is affecting your emotional health and vice versa. I’ve suffered from asthma my whole life as well but have been lucky enough to move away from parts of the world where allergies and asthma affect me the most. Not always an option I know. I’m 46 and have suffered some pretty substantial setbacks (injuries) of my own doing, and yet still manage to rebuild as best I can and do the most with what I have left. I’ve got a date with a huge hill in the Pyrenees later this summer that is keeping me motivated. Maybe a goal would give you something to work towards.

PM me if you want my $.02 about nutrition. Sugar and commodity grains are in everything and we simply eat too much of both.

I'm 42 and married. Therefore I'm not trying to impress anybody with the size of my topper. My last truck had a cab height topper and it made me not love taking my bikes out to ride. I can't help with the stairs issue but I can tell you that the new topper makes transporting bikes a breeze and to me, that was the ultimate goal.

Chad
View attachment 824568 View attachment 824569 View attachment 824570

I have owned a handful of pickup trucks over the years, and every single one that came with a topper, I took it off. Couldn't stand the look. When I bought this truck, it didn't come with anything on the bed so I bought a tonneau cover and quickly realized it wasn't that convenient for hauling bikes, so for the first time in my life I actually shopped around and bought a topper for this truck. They have come a long way from the ones I've had in the past, as most were aluminum and generic to fit different makes.
But if I was going to buy one, it had to be level with the roof lol. First time I hauled a bike with it on, realized it wasn't super convenient either, but I liked the look. The extra weight on the bed helps a little in the snow too, since its a 2wd truck.
I have been starting to consider getting one of those "old man truck caps" as I call them. I think it would be easier than using the Swagman. I too am married (16 years) so I don't need to impress anyone either, it's just always been about personal preference. I am finding that I may just have to give up personal preference for necessity.

Jay, have you had a good physical exam and check up in the last year? The desk job can certainly change your metabolism, weight and the burning of calories. You said you gained 30 lbs. Depending on your weight a year ago that could be roughly 10 to 20 percent or so of your body weight. Low energy isn't always due to additional weight. You are a young guy and I would check all bases.

It's probably been a year or more since I've been to the Dr. Probably wouldn't hurt I guess.

I have owned a handful of pickup trucks over the years, and every single one that came with a topper, I took it off. Couldn't stand the look. When I bought this truck, it didn't come with anything on the bed so I bought a tonneau cover and quickly realized it wasn't that convenient for hauling bikes, so for the first time in my life I actually shopped around and bought a topper for this truck. They have come a long way from the ones I've had in the past, as most were aluminum and generic to fit different makes.
But if I was going to buy one, it had to be level with the roof lol. First time I hauled a bike with it on, realized it wasn't super convenient either, but I liked the look. The extra weight on the bed helps a little in the snow too, since its a 2wd truck.
I have been starting to consider getting one of those "old man truck caps" as I call them. I think it would be easier than using the Swagman. I too am married (16 years) so I don't need to impress anyone either, it's just always been about personal preference. I am finding that I may just have to give up personal preference for necessity.

Old man caps! I guess that's what I have one on my 2000 Tundra, it's an ARE topper with a slight 4-5" bump up in the roof. It does make loading bikes in there a lot easier, but I chose it because it makes camping a LOT nicer with that little extra head room.

Because of prostate cancer and radiation treatment,
I elected to become dormant. That was in 2014.

Now I go to a sport's med place for therapy. Had to
learn to ride all over again. Bought a modern machine
from Scott Mc. .. it is wonderful. Still learning to
balance while riding. Had no idea what gets up and
leaves your body when you fail to keep it moving.

Down to 225, but muscles have atrophied. Am retrain-
ing them. Use food as fuel. Keep moving. Associate
with positive people, vow to stay positive. Do positive
things for other people. If certain bikes have become
anchors .. give them away. Give Them Away.

If anything in this hobby burdens you -- dump it like a
slice of bad pizza. Did you ever begin eating a slice of
pizza and decided, ''This is lousy pizza.'' (?)

Did you keep on eating it, anyway ? Why ? How did your
consumption of a lousy pie enhance your well-being ?

Same with bicycles. If you bought a piece of crap bike --
just to hopefully flip it .... you are wasting your life and money.
You are bringing an anchor home with you where it will
continue to deteriorate ... and you still have to find a buyer.
At night you think, ''Why did I buy that POS bicycle ?''

A few of us go out the next day and repeat the stupidity.

Avoid doing with bicycles what some of us continue to do
with a bad pizza.

Am looking to be comfortable with myself, at age 71 and a half.

I refuse to be burdened by anything on my deathbed ... and
believe me ... we will all .. each of us .. have a deathbed.

Love to all ... not bullshi#ing about anything .........

..... patric
Worth reading again ......and again. Patric says it all. You have to hit every day as if it's your last. Yeah, sometimes stuff just gets too heavy and you get down. When that happens, an examination of conscious is the best thing. Stop and think, what's really the problem?
I urge everyone, to volunteer....somewhere. I regularly volunteer at a nursing home once or twice a week. You want to see people with problems? Oh my gosh..... There was one old fellow in there that restored and collected Packard Automobiles before he got sick and ended up in the home. I asked him, just a couple weeks before he died, if there was anything he wanted? His answer was: "My work bench." Don't sweat the ride, cause the end is near.....

Get yourself a lighter bicycle to ride for fitness, and enjoy the heavyweights for the art that they are.
The vintage lightweight bicycle is really an un tapped resource right now, and some really nice old classics can be bought for a relative bargain.
All of the old manufacturers made them, so look around and see what you like.
I bought this 38 Paramount more for what it was, than as something that I thought I would enjoy riding, and the first time I lifted it up into the bed of the truck, I thought, now that's more like it!
image.jpeg
You can put some miles on these with relative ease, and still be back home in time to enjoy that nice heathy salad,while you sit back and enjoy staring at the beauty of that fully optioned out 1941 Schwinn Super Deluxe Autocycle.
Just sayin!

Well I'm kinda proud of myself. I got up off my butt and went for a 30 minute ride around my neighborhood. It felt great to get out and ride again. The land is pretty flat and I was able to keep it in 4th gear (it's a 7 speed) and ride at a steady comfortable pace. Going to install a water bottle holder, as well as a LED headlight and taillight in case I decide to do an early morning or late evening ride. Been meaning to do these things but haven't been motivated since I haven't been riding. It was fun and I'm looking forward to the next ride. Going to try and make it a daily thing.
@cyclingday that's not a bad idea, getting a vintage lightweight bike. It is something I've considered and may end up doing.
20180616_122407.jpg

Back