When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not ready to throw in the towel just yet, but not sure where to go from here.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Best advice is cut your losses....old bikes are stupid anyway,,..your neighbors probably
snicker as you drag the next victim home....
You are lucky to be member on this site where there are still a few suckers
clinging on to this dinosaur of a hobby...
Do some research on rough 'retail values' of your load....
then cut those prices by roughly 80%-90% and list them on here...
You will move them quick like which is the goal...
get the nasty taste gone.
You will breath an asthma free sigh of relief when done!
good luck to you!

... Hey J ... Just saw this thread ... Just a suggestion about keeping your nicer bikes in the garage ...
... Now that the warm weather is finally here ... your garage should be dry enough where your bikes won't rust if you designate an area to park them on wood or plastic to keep the moisture from getting to them ...
... Bring just a few out there at a time to enjoy ... then change them for different ones each week or month until the cool weather sets in ...
... Just my 2 cents ... Rollo

So I have a bit of a dilemma. Not sure what direction I want to go, and I'm not ready to give up yet, but getting a little discouraged.
The next issue is I have a Ford F150. A few years ago I built my own bike rack out of 2x4 to haul bikes standing up in the bed. I have a cap on the bed which is even with the roof and have to tilt the bike to get it in, but can stand it up once the handlebars are clear. But at any rate it's a pain getting them in and out of the truck. I don't want to take the cap off, and I'm not ready to get what I consider an "old man truck cap" that is taller than the roof of the truck. Maybe someone out in CABE land has some advice?

OK, just to trying to help with one specific issue, one option for the bed cap is depending on the model, replace the side windows with the contractor style tilt up opening windows. I had an F150 with the hd contractor style cap and it was super easy to load bikes regardless of tilting (cycle truck for example). Simple, open side window first, load bike through back and transfer around side to open window...then tie down. typically took less than a minute to get a bike loaded...most caps use premade windows that are replaceable...makes life so easy

The conundrum:
Every time (currently) I think about getting rid of some of my "precious stuff", I always bump into the "I might need that for a project someday" wall, even though my projects have dwindled to maybe one a year now. And I like all my bikes.
My girlfriend says If you have the space for it, keep it!
I know someday I will have to pare down, but don't feel the urgency, although at some point, circumstances may dictate urgency, and that's not a very good time to sell either.
I also know that it doesn't appear that this hobby seems to be growing very much and prices now are probably as good as they will ever be (except for the very rare stuff).
So, for the time being, I will take my girlfriends advice.......at least until I change my mind tomorrow.
I know all this doesn't really solve your particular problem, but I related to the "throwing in the towel" feeling.

Last edited:
The conundrum:
Every time (currently) I think about getting rid of some of my "precious stuff", I always bump into the "I might need that for a project someday wall". Even though my projects have dwindled to maybe one a year now. And I like all my bikes.
My girlfriend says If you have the space for it, keep it!
I know someday I will have to pare down, but don't feel the urgency, although at some point, circumstances may dictate urgency, and that's not a very good time to sell either.
I also know that it doesn't appear that this hobby seems to be growing very much and prices now are probably as good as they will ever be (except for the very rare stuff).
So for the time being, I will take my girlfriends advice.......at least until I change my mind tomorrow.
I know all this doesn't really solve your particular problem, but I related to the "throwing in the towel" feeling.
Is that why you keep your girlfriend?Because you have the room??

Every time I get near there I go find something useful to do, like build some bikes (or a computer) for my kin, or I get another one going for myself, like I did over the last two days and I'm still tying a bow on it.

Go do other things you like, bikes are not the only thing in your life. Realize that at one point, you became a bicycle orphanage (for me it was a stereo orphanage and I've gotten rid of the never to be done, given to charity) and adopt stuff out (for $$$ or not). And know that I have appreciated your help, as I'm sure most everyone else here has.

Take a vacation. At your age this is the kind of thing you'll really enjoy. Never wait until you are a senior with an RV who is going to see the country, because that is bogus. That RV costs too much. Rent a trailer or just drive.

All burnouts are quenched with the water of exploration.

And keep those bikes you like the most. The hard work you put into them will be a source of pride and joy as you ride them through the years. When you are done, let somebody else ride.

So I have a bit of a dilemma. Not sure what direction I want to go, and I'm not ready to give up yet, but getting a little discouraged.
I've accumulated some cool bikes, not as cool or as many as some of you have. You can see most of what I currently have listed in my signature. I really enjoy the prewar balloon tire bikes more than anything. I love getting one, taking it apart, cleaning (although not loving the cleaning part as much anymore) greasing, and otherwise getting them ridable again. Problem is actually riding them once I'm done.
I'm 37 and have had asthma for some time now. The garage is always damp, so I keep the nicer ones in the basement so they don't rust. But it's a chore getting these heavy bikes up and down the stairs, so they rarely get ridden.
There's a local "bicycle night" Tuesday evenings at a local pub, just an informal get together, bring whatever bike you have new or old, where I go and meet up with other local bike people and try to always take one of my bikes with me to display. I figure if I can't ride them much, I can at least get them out once in a while for other people to see, and they enjoy seeing them.
Again, difficult to get them up and down the stairs though. The next issue is I have a Ford F150. A few years ago I built my own bike rack out of 2x4 to haul bikes standing up in the bed. I have a cap on the bed which is even with the roof and have to tilt the bike to get it in, but can stand it up once the handlebars are clear. But at any rate it's a pain getting them in and out of the truck. I don't want to take the cap off, and I'm not ready to get what I consider an "old man truck cap" that is taller than the roof of the truck.
So, I paid $212 to have a receiver hitch put on, and another $210 to buy a nice Swagman 2 bike rack, the kind where it holds it by the wheels, with a hook over the frame. Great rack, still kind of a pain going through the process of getting it on and off the truck. Also noticed the rack blocks my license plate. Don't need to get pulled over for something stupid like that. Kind of feeling like I wasted my money.
Buying a different vehicle is not an option, as I'm still making payments on the truck, as well as taking out another loan to replace my wife's car.
My job was much more physical before, and I stayed somewhat in shape, but about a year ago I got a promotion and now sit at a desk all day. Not complaining, I love the job, but I've put on about 30lbs and it's not helping my situation.
I know exercise would help, but again, difficult for me and I have no energy. I'd love to get out and ride my bikes, but as you can see, that is an issue. Thought briefly about taking up a second hobby, like collecting some sort of small object but there's literally nothing else that interests me enough.
I just am at a point where I don't know what the hell to do. I have asked myself "should I just get rid of all my bikes and call it quits?" but I know I would regret it if I did.
Maybe someone out in CABE land has some advice?

I've accumulated some cool bikes, not as cool or as many as some of you have. You can see most of what I currently have listed in my signature. I really enjoy the prewar balloon tire bikes more than anything. I love getting one, taking it apart, cleaning (although not loving the cleaning part as much anymore) greasing, and otherwise getting them ridable again. Problem is actually riding them once I'm done.
I'm 37 and have had asthma for some time now. The garage is always damp, so I keep the nicer ones in the basement so they don't rust. But it's a chore getting these heavy bikes up and down the stairs, so they rarely get ridden.
There's a local "bicycle night" Tuesday evenings at a local pub, just an informal get together, bring whatever bike you have new or old, where I go and meet up with other local bike people and try to always take one of my bikes with me to display. I figure if I can't ride them much, I can at least get them out once in a while for other people to see, and they enjoy seeing them.
Again, difficult to get them up and down the stairs though. The next issue is I have a Ford F150. A few years ago I built my own bike rack out of 2x4 to haul bikes standing up in the bed. I have a cap on the bed which is even with the roof and have to tilt the bike to get it in, but can stand it up once the handlebars are clear. But at any rate it's a pain getting them in and out of the truck. I don't want to take the cap off, and I'm not ready to get what I consider an "old man truck cap" that is taller than the roof of the truck.
So, I paid $212 to have a receiver hitch put on, and another $210 to buy a nice Swagman 2 bike rack, the kind where it holds it by the wheels, with a hook over the frame. Great rack, still kind of a pain going through the process of getting it on and off the truck. Also noticed the rack blocks my license plate. Don't need to get pulled over for something stupid like that. Kind of feeling like I wasted my money.
Buying a different vehicle is not an option, as I'm still making payments on the truck, as well as taking out another loan to replace my wife's car.
My job was much more physical before, and I stayed somewhat in shape, but about a year ago I got a promotion and now sit at a desk all day. Not complaining, I love the job, but I've put on about 30lbs and it's not helping my situation.
I know exercise would help, but again, difficult for me and I have no energy. I'd love to get out and ride my bikes, but as you can see, that is an issue. Thought briefly about taking up a second hobby, like collecting some sort of small object but there's literally nothing else that interests me enough.
I just am at a point where I don't know what the hell to do. I have asked myself "should I just get rid of all my bikes and call it quits?" but I know I would regret it if I did.
Maybe someone out in CABE land has some advice?

Here's my advice, quit whining.
You're 37, come back in 30 years when you will really have physical problems.
Ride a nice light bike for exercise.

Jay man, Your 37 years old , Don't call it quits, sir.

I cant tell if your going through a dark time in your life, making you tired and leaving you with no energy or enthusiasm, or its a medical thing.

When as the last time you went and had a physical with blood test. ( you may, like I did, have to request the test to include testosterone level )

I know a lot of people my age ,54 and younger, who do not go to the doctor because, they are scared what they might find. That's their job is to find things if they aren't right and tell you, so you can correct the situation . Also the doctors is gonna tell ya to loose weight if your heavy, cut back the beer, stop smoking get exercising...

And Jay , in a few years, when its time to see the doctor to have your Hershey highway checked for speed bumps...GO! The worst part of the whole thing is the night before, when you drink the special juice .You are not going to take a dry fart for granted, I'll tell you that. You will be cleansed! They knock you out the next thing you know the nurse is waking you up.

You get through what ever this is.

Remember you are one of the motivating forces of the CABE, surrender is not in our creed

Last edited:
Every time I get near there I go find something useful to do, like build some bikes (or a computer) for my kin, or I get another one going for myself, like I did over the last two days and I'm still tying a bow on it.

Go do other things you like, bikes are not the only thing in your life. Realize that at one point, you became a bicycle orphanage (for me it was a stereo orphanage and I've gotten rid of the never to be done, given to charity) and adopt stuff out (for $$$ or not). And know that I have appreciated your help, as I'm sure most everyone else here has.

Take a vacation. At your age this is the kind of thing you'll really enjoy. Never wait until you are a senior with an RV who is going to see the country, because that is bogus. That RV costs too much. Rent a trailer or just drive.

All burnouts are quenched with the water of exploration.

And keep those bikes you like the most. The hard work you put into them will be a source of pride and joy as you ride them through the years. When you are done, let somebody else ride.
"...All burnouts are quenched with the water of exploration."

I'm stealin' that line...

A message sent from my brother in law, who has been in remission from Lymphoma cancer for 3 years , and now struggling with diabetes and obesity . BTW he road his bicycle on the trail for 10 miles yesterday morning before the crack of dawn. He's 58.
IMG952764 (1).jpg

Back