When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not ready to throw in the towel just yet, but not sure where to go from here.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Rivendell targets their step-through-frame bikes to 70s and older. They're made to be easy start, long wheelbase for good ride and balance.
rivendell-clem-smith-blue-heron-bikes-berkeley?format=500w.jpg

Jay81....if you are a reader and are looking for some motivation, I highly recommend "The China Study".....by Colin Campbell, a heart and cancer surgeon of renowned reputation.....
It changed my life after reading it. My heart was failing 6 years ago when 55. My father had a heart attack at 56 and died. (btw. there is very little connection between genetics and disease-this is called "genetic fatalism"-he taught me how to eat, and this is the familial connection)
I gave up processed foods and animal protein, pushed myself physically, went from 235 to 185lbs, and "repaired" my own heart to 100% within 5 months. It completely transformed my physical being; the way I looked and felt. Never looked back! I also cut out 90% of the alcohol. I do eat some clean fish regularly, but avoid most animal products, including dairy. The american diet and lifestyle will open your wallet to the medical industry, for sure..... Life is too short to begin with, ya know?
Every day, it's all about what & how much you eat, making the time for yourself to exercise hard, hydrating, and making sure you sit in the sun twice a week for your "vitamin" "D" manufacture. Hardest thing I have ever done...changing my diet and giving up the worthless, micro-nutrient-free "foods" that confuse and destroy your immune system. skpc

Last edited:
I am an admitted PIKER who recently became interested TOC bikes by way of those terrifying high wheels! I have discovered that I like their simplicity and lightweight nature compared to the balloon bikes. Sometimes I get overwhelmed by the amount of junque I have accumulated but I look at it like an old man 401k.
I’m going to be 54 so I’m not looking to get rid of anything any time soon.

My daily rider is a 1930 Westfield. The gearing is low so it is a lot of torque. At the very least I use it to check the mail, and maybe a 1/4 mile cruise. I live at the top of a big hill so coming home is harder than leaving. It’s a crusty bike and I don’t worry about getting jacked for it.

Sounds like you are making a habit of riding more frequently. Keep it up, make it more consistent and try to ride a little further each time. You can do more damage trying to do too much at once. Rather than being seen about town on a modern ride you could look into some alternatively sized vintage sprockets for the same effect.

I just had three bone tumors removed from my right knee making a total of 8 so far. Biking is actually part of my physical therapy because it’s smoother on my joints than walking.

Just remember to take time to enjoy your collection!

I will discuss further, this subject matter, at a later time today.

My father has severe asthma, my fiance had childhood asthma. He rides with me and goes slow, I take a vintage cruiser to limit my speed and keep a conversation with him. We ride around the neighborhood or at one of the several parks or trails nearby. I don't mount the rack in my pickup unless we are going a great distance or I am entering a show.

And too cheap too, that always bugs me when I try to help a family member and give them stuff to sell, plus pricing advice but It goes at yard/fire sale prices...how does THAT help?

its hard to tell what this thread is about-trucks or health issues so I figure its as good as place as any to jump in. somewhere here on the cabe there was talk about men's health and in particular-prostate problems associated with bike riding-i'm trying not to think about it. but what I can make brief mention of today I learned(who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks)about potassium depletion and riding around with your seat too low over extended miles. perhaps a little dehydration is the culprit also. this would be the appropriate time to thank the wonderful fellow riders today on the c.o.b.o.a. club's sacramento river ride-THANK YOU one and all! I had my seat too low and I know better but I had just picked the bike up the day before at the jafco meet and put it together with 'catalog seat height' much too low for an adult. I paid the price! after a few hours of riding within a block or two it came on in the blink of an eye-both legs started to cramp along the top behind the knee. the pain was so bad I had to stop the bike and both legs locked up-never felt anything like it-painful.(a little embarrassing). fellow riders had also experienced this in the past and explained I had probably run out of potassium in my system and eating a banana(good source of potassium-an old road biker trick) would work the magic and put me back on the road. well I didn't have a banana laying around and we were on the outskirts of town. after a spell I walked things off and was able to continue on the ride and had a half dozen 'wing-man' riders-thanks guys! so I have learned a valuable thing-bone up on some sort of potassium-be it a banana or maybe there is a supplement I could take before the ride. and set your bike up with the seat high enough to fully extend your leg! again-thanks to the c.o.b.o.a. club for their 'no biker left behind' policy!

Last edited:
I cant ride the heavy ballooners anymore but that doesnt take away from wanting to collect bikes.Collecting and riding are separate issues. If I can ever ride again I will use my Trek with narrow tires and 120 PSI. This summer I was hoping to do better but had some setbacks and riding was not to happen. I still love the hunt for old things,especially bikes. I had Asthma since 1995 but with modern inhalers taken before riding it was good. You are just in a slump.Remember there is always someone in much worse shape than you.

its hard to tell what this thread is about-trucks or health issues so I figure its as good as place as any to jump in. somewhere here on the cabe there was talk about men's health and in particular-prostate problems associated with bike riding-i'm trying not to think about it. but what I can make brief mention of today I learned(who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks)about potassium depletion and riding around with your seat too low over extended miles. perhaps a little dehydration is the culprit also. this would be the appropriate time to thank the wonderful fellow riders today on the c.o.b.o.a. club's sacramento river ride-THANK YOU one and all! I had my seat too low and I know better but I had just picked the bike up the day before at the jafco meet and put it together with 'catalog seat height' much too low for an adult. I paid the price! after a few hours of riding within a block or two it came on in the blink of an eye-both legs started to cramp along the top behind the knee. the pain was so bad I had to stop the bike and both legs locked up-never felt anything like it-painful.(a little embarrassing). fellow riders had also experienced this in the past and explained I had probably run out of potassium in my system and eating a banana(good source of potassium-an old road biker trick) would work the magic and put me back on the road. well I didn't have a banana laying around and we were on the outskirts of town. after a spell I walked things off and was able to continue on the ride and had a half dozen 'wing-man' riders-thanks guys! so I have learned a valuable thing-bone up on some sort of potassium-be it a banana or maybe there is a supplement I could take before the ride. and set your bike up with the seat high enough to fully extend your leg! again-thanks to the c.o.b.o.a. club for their 'no biker left behind' policy!
I had severe leg cramps at night for months..bananas did not help...wife said take potassium tablets...no more cramps...one 99mg tab every morning is like magic...wife wins again:cool:

Back