When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not So Trivial Pursuit

-

Schwinny

I live for the CABE
I was looking around for restoration parts and ran into an interesting tidbit that will affect the next restoration I may be doing on an English Bike. I'm sure many International bike enthusiasts are aware of this, but it was a cool bit of new trivia for me being a "Yank."
I've been looking at fenders and ran across the English "Road Traffic Act of 1934"
It's the reason that ALL older English bikes have either white rear fenders or the rear portion of the rear fender white. At that time it was difficult to pass such a law because people were railing against Government regulations.
Without realizing, I thought that practice was a Raleigh signature, or even a stodgy tuxedo-like fashion of English Bikes. I hadn't noticed it on other English makes (are there other English makes? :) ) but it turns out it was started in 1934 because there were so many accidents on the road involving bicycles.
For me, it would be a "must-know" if I am to restore my old Armstrong.
So... I guess... Bobs your Uncle.
:)

Is also depends on the market for the bike as originally sent. The 1934 Act was a UK law, so some bikes sent to other markets did not have the white stripe, even long after 1934. It was more efficient to adopt the white stripe usually, which allowed marketing in the UK or abroad. More recently here:

It eventually went away. The last few years production of Raleigh bikes don’t have white ends on the fenders.

Ted

Back