When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

not sure it is a classic

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

chris crew

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hello, newbie here--found you via the motoredbikes site.

I picked up this chunk of American steel yesterday, and before I do anything crazy like motorizing it, I thought I would toss up a few photos and see if it is something rare or valuable.

I have not been able to locate a serial number on the bottom of the crank yet, but the WD40 is still soaking into the crud.

Any guess as to year of manufacture or current value?

Clues: Skip link drive train, wooden pedal blocks, weighs a ton--those crested fenders are about as thick as the steel on a shovel blade.

Not the original paint (was red)

Doesn't seem to be original kickstand

Attachments

• aacleveland5.JPG
    aacleveland5.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 103
  • aacleveland6.jpg
    aacleveland6.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 83
  • aacleveland7.jpg
    aacleveland7.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 83
  • all american cleaned 1.jpg
    all american cleaned 1.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 136
  • all american cleaned 2.jpg
    all american cleaned 2.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 122
Welcome to the CABE

Your bike is a prewar classic

It was manufactured by Cleveland Welding as noted on the badge. That frame style was offered for several years before WW2 and the fender braces pin yours down as being not earlier than 1940, so it is a 1940, 1941, or an early 1942 model. The serial number is stamped in the bottom bracket and will be a letter followed by five numbers. If you uncover it and post it I may be able to narrow down when it was made.

The bike would have originally had a rear drop stand that pivots from the holes provided in the rear dropouts unless it is a very late 41 or 42 bike. In that case the kick stand may be correct.

The bike is a basic model and at the time it was produced it was not offered with a tank. As it looks complete and pretty straight it could be a good restoration candidate in that regard but it is not a highly valuable model so the cost of a true restoration would easily surpass the current monetary value of the same bike in perfect condition,

I would guess the value of the bike (as it stands) in the hobby today is in the $150-$250 range.

I’ll note that the rear tire (referred to as a “snakebelly”) looks like it is holding air and has some value on its own.

In regards to motorizing the bike, I have heard that a standard Whizzer motor will not fit in that frame without cutting and moving tubes but some of the smaller motors might fit without the need to modify the frame.

Not sure...

I can't tell you the exact model or year but I can tell you based on the tag it is a CWC - Cleveland Welding built bike. Based on the frame having drop stand ears it is prewar. Value? I'd say roughly 150-$200 tops. Others may differ on that. Maybe Phil will jump in, he is the resident expert on this line of bikes. Brad

Last edited:
you might be able to get a whizzer engine in your frame, you would have to make your own mounts and may need to adapt the carb depending on what model. I got one with a high fin head in the earlier version of the frame which has the middle tube an inch higher.

Welcome to the CABE

Your bike is a prewar classic

It was manufactured by Cleveland Welding as noted on the badge. That frame style was offered for several years before WW2 and the fender braces pin yours down as being not earlier than 1940, so it is a 1940, 1941, or an early 1942 model.

Oh Phil. I hate to be the one to ding ya on this one, but you're wrong about the fender braces. Those curved braces were available late '38, and fill the '39 catalog, onward. That frame is pretty much definitely 1939. The only difference between the '39 catalog Mens Standard and this bike is that the Standard is shown with straight fender braces, while the rest of the line came with curved braces as the standard. CWC frames (as well as many others) came outfitted with different parts, depending on vendor, or even location. A '39 Men's bike in NYC could look like a completely different bike as the same model available in LA. Dealers assembled the bikes to their liking, or to fulfill a customer order. At some point, most likely the dealer, just put higher level fenders on this Standard. The rear drop stand was original equipment. A center stand was either changed at the time of purchase or later.

'39 Mens Standard

Here's a picture for reference.

Attachments

• 1939 Roadmaster cat pg18.jpg
    1939 Roadmaster cat pg18.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 81
CWC introduced curved fender braces for their 1939 line (production would have begun in 1938) but the curved braces in 1939 are almost flat, made from essentially the same stock as the early straight braces. The thin, deep stamped curved braces were introduced for 1940. Examples of the ?Standard? frame have appeared with serial numbers that would suggest the design was produced past 1939 which is the last time it is illustrated in the Roadmaster Catalog.

As Antony noted, CWC sold bikes to many distributors and the frame styles and combinations of parts and accessories can vary from those depicted on in-house Roadmaster offerings. It is likely that some frame styles that were discontinued from the Roadmaster line were still available to second tier distributors at favorable prices.

Regarding kick stands, there are factory promotional photos of late prewar bicycles in reduced chrome 1942 guise that show side stands mounted to bicycles with drop stand ears.

Thanks for the input, gents.

I appreciate your comments.

I'm going to take the bike over to a local shop that does restorations and see about getting the spokes replaced as some are nearly rusted through. Other than that, I don't think there is much in need of replacement.

About that seat---it appears to be painted cloth. Would I be doing much wrong if I glue the loose flap back down, clean it up an add a couple of coats of paint or polyurathene?

The Chinese "Happy Time" 49 cc motor nestles right into the frame with no mods to either motor or frame.

About the "Snake Belly" I agree--that's about the 2nd coolest bike tire I've ever seen (after the white ones) It does hold air, but needs a new stem insert--only holds air while the pump is attached. I did pump it up to the recommended pressure and it looks good---no cracks or dry rot. The front tire is a BF Goodrich--sadly, ist kaput.

BTW, I picked that up at the local flea market Saturday from a guy who had a succession of Murry's and AMF's over the summer--all unridable--all in the $150 range. I gave him $65 for this one--would have paid $50 for the saddle alone.

If I part it out, anyone interested in the fenders? How about the Snake Belly?

Thanks again---looks like I have a new addiction. This is what happens when one's baby goes off to college.

I appreciate your comments.

I'm going to take the bike over to a local shop that does restorations and see about getting the spokes replaced as some are nearly rusted through. Other than that, I don't think there is much in need of replacement.

About that seat---it appears to be painted cloth. Would I be doing much wrong if I glue the loose flap back down, clean it up an add a couple of coats of paint or polyurathene?

The Chinese "Happy Time" 49 cc motor nestles right into the frame with no mods to either motor or frame.

About the "Snake Belly" I agree--that's about the 2nd coolest bike tire I've ever seen (after the white ones) It does hold air, but needs a new stem insert--only holds air while the pump is attached. I did pump it up to the recommended pressure and it looks good---no cracks or dry rot. The front tire is a BF Goodrich--sadly, ist kaput.

BTW, I picked that up at the local flea market Saturday from a guy who had a succession of Murry's and AMF's over the summer--all unridable--all in the $150 range. I gave him $65 for this one--would have paid $50 for the saddle alone.

If I part it out, anyone interested in the fenders? How about the Snake Belly?

Thanks again---looks like I have a new addiction. This is what happens when one's baby goes off to college.
As far as doing something wrong, the only person you have to impress is yourself. It's your bike. I'd lose the chainguard(it's not original and looks better without it), put new tubes and tires on it(hang up the rear tire as a vintage curiosity) and have fun with it, motor or not. If you get bored with it, I'm sure someone here will take it off your hands.

yeah i wouldnt do any cutting or anything that couldnt be undone with a wrench or screwdriver........
just please make your own tank for that!!! those stock happy time ones look so wrong!

Back