When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not sure what I found tonight.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jim Barnard

Wore out three sets of tires already!
This is dated June 1949. I saw the old style levers poking out of clutter of poor craigs list photographs. The bike was semi apart and incomplete.

She was missing the front wheel, grips, reflector and pedals I have found some parts in my shop to get an idea of how she rides (Well!) Note sure what it is. I have not seen a 1949 catalog. maybe it will be obvious then.

Anyone know?
IMG_4118[1].JPG
IMG_4116[1].JPG
IMG_4117[1].JPG
IMG_4113[1].JPG
IMG_4108[1].JPG
IMG_4110[1].JPG
IMG_4109[1].JPG
IMG_4115[1].JPG

0e48ded48ae97ebc358b98e1c2781890.jpg

From my "Schwinn Built Bicycles, Accessories & Parts" book.
"From the day it was founded, Arnold, Schwinn and Company has always produced bicycles of the finest quality. The "World" racing and light sport bicycles of the nineties were famous the world over. Because adult interest waned, high grade adult bicycles were not built in this country for many years until Arnold, Schwinn and Company again engineered, tooled and put into production a complete line of modern high grade adult bicycles in 1938 under the now well known trademarks: Paramount, Continental and New World. Three distinctly different lines, from the finest built anywhere in the world to the sturdy popular priced models.

These fine bicycles represent over 60 years of uninterrupted cycle designing, engineering and building. They are the finest bicycles produced in America."
1948_schwinn_cnl.jpg

1948 Schwinn Model CNL

Last edited:
Nice. Appears to be in very good condition. New World with some cool optional equipment.

1948_schwinn_w1l.jpg

Specifications

FRAME - Built from best grade one-inch diameter "Seamless Drawn" carbon steel tubes.

FORK - Double tapered, formed-tip fork sides - forged steel crown, tapered-wall fork stems - electronic construction - no brazed joints. See feature pages 2 and 3.

CRANK SET - Schwinn one-piece. Flanged sprocket, 1/2" pitch teeth.

FRONT HUB - Schwinn-Built-7/32" chrome steel balls in retainers.

REAR HUB - New Departure or Bendix - Morrow optional at slight additional cost.

HEAD SET - Special quality B Model set. See page 28.

HANDLEBAR - New World Tourist.

HANDLEBAR STEM - Schwinn Gooseneck.

PARKING STAND - Schwinn Built-in. See pages 2 and 3.

MUDGUARDS - Special lightweight - enameled same color as bicycle. Ivory colored guards optional.

CHAIN GUARD - Special lightweight - enameled same color as bicycle. Ivory colored guard optional.

CHAIN - 1/2" pitch roller.

RIMS - Schwinn-Built S-6 Tubular. See page 29.

TIRES - Schwinn Whirlwind 26" x 1 3/8". Schwinn Breeze 26" x 1 1/4" optional.

SADDLE - Schwinn Tourist.

PEDALS - Rubber.

Schwinn Large Flange Free Wheel Rear Hub

Designed for use with caliper brakes on adult type bicycle, has threaded section to take standard Imported free wheels. Fits any make bicycle. Order No. 5880. See page 31-Parts Section.

Last edited:
That bike is a post WW2 as it has removable seat clamp. Prewar bike that clamp was welded to the frame. Probably between 1946 and 1950. Very nice bike and condition. Roger

Beautiful find...love the double pin stripping on the forks, fenders, and frame fork tube. NICE!!!

I don't know how many of these bikes there were, but I bet not many have survived in that condition! Nice find!

That bike is a post WW2 as it has removable seat clamp. Prewar bike that clamp was welded to the frame. Probably between 1946 and 1950. Very nice bike and condition. Roger

That's not entirely true. There were at least 2 lightweight Pre War models that were the first to be equipped with a removable seat post clamp. It appears that the pre war Cycle Truck may have also had the removable clamp. A few of the pre war lightweights were also equipped with rear drop outs. See images below.

1940_22_23.jpg

This is dated June 1949. I saw the old style levers poking out of clutter of poor craigs list photographs. The bike was semi apart and incomplete.

She was missing the front wheel, grips, reflector and pedals I have found some parts in my shop to get an idea of how she rides (Well!) Note sure what it is. I have not seen a 1949 catalog. maybe it will be obvious then.

Anyone know?View attachment 742614 View attachment 742615 View attachment 742616 View attachment 742617 View attachment 742618 View attachment 742619 View attachment 742620 View attachment 742621

Tell me more about the Austin Healey. I had a 1957 BN6 that I really loved. But I loved my daughter even more. Sold it to bring her home from the hospital. (Long ago when there was no paid paternity leave.)

Late 1940s or early 1950s New World. The single speed freewheel is fun and smooth running usually. Nice color and condition - we usually see this color on Continentals from that era. This is one step up (hand brakes with high flange freewheel) from base New World configuration (coaster hub with no handbrakes). You could buy these in the shop off-the-shelf, or you could specify a custom set up and they would build/get one for you. Great concept in adult bikes ahead of its time in the US.

Last edited:
Back