When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Noted differences in Mercury Pacemaker Run '39-'41

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

fordmike65

Riding a '37 Colson Imperial
When I first picked up my Pacemaker project, I was told that the chainring was incorrect. I believed this to be true since just about every one had a chainring with only 2 rows of slots. I also noticed that it looked like my bike also had the incorrect fenders. Now I'm getting a lil ticked cuz I figured I only needed to get a few lil bits like the headset & crank nuts and I'd be good to go & get it repainted/chromed. I thought I'd better do as much research as I can before starting the resto, cuz the worst thing is spending $1,000's of dollars on a full out resto just to find out you did it WRONG! I've been compiling pics of several Pacemakers, both of what look to be original & of obviously restored bikes. I've found that more than a few of these bikes indeed have the 3 row chainrings. Both restored & what seem to be untouched OG bikes. Maybe my chainring is correct after all??? Then I started to notice the fenders. Some of these same 3 row bikes have what seem to be Twin Bar style "pinched" fenders! Wait...could my bike have had the correct fenders after all?? Well, I still have more research to do, which is good cuz I don't have the $$$ to restore my bike yet anyway. If anyone would like to add any info,findings or even better pics to either confirm what I think may be going on here or prove my hunch wrong & put me on the right track, I would be forever grateful! Thanks so much guys. Guess I'll share my findings now.

Three rows of slots on what I believe are OG paint bikes:

1939_murray_mercury5copy_zpsee349669-1.jpg

8377906428_5ab1946a27_zps88b56e01-1.jpg

8376809929_21eb75d3eb_c_zps8ccd4146-1.jpg

8377889350_b7b0186a8d_zpsdc4f88ed-1.jpg

Restored or at least project bikes:

8377910380_6f4f3984f9_zpsc9ac8cce-1.jpg

8377917024_0e633093f4_zps8f343cb4-1.jpg

8377933780_62d3966a80_zps2649f169-1.jpg

IMAG0431_zps3b0f6da3-1.jpg

Now look at the fenders as well. Can't seem to get clear pics, but it seems they are pinched?? Could this be a late run? Say 41's? Or am I just seeing things? I have a set of the flat style Pacemaker fenders should they be correct for my bike. Jut wanna find out what is right. I should have gotten the serial number off mine before even starting this thread. I will add it later tonight.

Last edited:
Here's another view of a bike above. Belongs to a fellow member who unfortunately doesn't frequent the site much. Was hoping he'd respond to my PM's. If you look closely, it almost looks like the front fender is pinched.

MyMerc1_zps36ed84c7-1.jpg

Reactions: JLF
Seat tube length?

I just noticed that there seems to be 2 different length seat tubes(above top tube). Excuse my ignorance, but did both Murray & Westfield build these bikes? Maybe this would explain the different carrier seatclamp mounts that were discussed briefly in another thread. Note how some come straight back while others drop down?

8377883500_d8c1c17d17_zps3437abf7-1.jpg

The pics show 2 different types of seat post clamp areas used by Murray: one with a clamp tack-welded on and using shims, the other w/o separate clamp and no shims. From what I've seen the type with the shims is earlier, up until maybe early 1940?

Yes, saw that too. Thanks for the info Scott! Always a wealth of knowledge;)

Seems that at least in the OG bikes pictured, the bikes without the seatpost clamp do indeed have a 3 slotted chainring. If that is true, then I do have the incorrect one:(

Last edited:
Reactions: mrg
Mike, outside of the chainring (which I installed) I don't believe your bike was pieced together? I bought the bike in the early 80's; it was painted with red house paint for almost twenty years, when I primed it grey. As far as I know those fenders were original.

Mike, outside of the chainring (which I installed) I don't believe your bike was pieced together? I bought the bike in the early 80's; it was painted with red house paint for almost twenty years, when I primed it grey. As far as I know those fenders were original.

Thanks for chiming in Carlton. A lot could have happened in the 40+ years before you picked it up, so anything is possible. I hope they are correct, but I do have a set of the flatter style should I find they aren't. I'm in no real rush to get it redone, so I have plenty of time to keep researching.:cool:

Back