When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Notes on the Airman Comet

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Seems to me they work differently than the way we would expect: moving horizontally not vertically. I've seen folks push down vertically on the handlebars and when the spring doesn't move they say "see, it doesn't work".
I don't think they were designed for taking up vertical impacts like potholes or going off curbs, but when on the road they work as they seem to be designed.
Perhaps part of the reason they were changed is because they didn't function in the way the buyers expected.
Ahh, so they were designed more for running into curbs than pot holes. That makes sense. :sunglasses:

I never really thought about this before but would guess these bike companies were looking to address the issue of bent forks more than smoothing the ride. Even the Schwinn springer has more of a fore/aft motion.

As Scott says the fork works but just in a different way. I have either four or five bikes with these forks and the ride is smooth. personally I think they do a lot better job than just about any beehive springer I ever rode such as the Snyder built Hawthornes or even the Westfield springers (Five Star Superb). This discussion reminds me of those concerning the Huffman Twin Flex. A lot of people bad mouth the rides of these that have either never ridden one or didn't have the suspension adjusted properly. I have three of these and all ride like butter. -- break--- Scott maybe you are aware of another one of these but the fenders on Marty's bike are the exact same (except for braces) as the pics of the other bike I saw. I would love to see pics of any Airman Comets out there. One last thought; both of the known (to me) bikes are badged as Airmans. Has anyone ever heard or seen of one badged as something else e.g. Monark, McNamara, etc...? V/r Shawn

...Scott maybe you are aware of another one of these but the fenders on Marty's bike are the exact same (except for braces) as the pics of the other bike I saw...

Ah, I was going by what you mentioned about the braces being different, not aware of any others.

Ah, I was going by what you mentioned about the braces being different, not aware of any others.

Dang I got excited for a minute! I need to look at some '39 26Xs to see what braces are normally found on these. I looked Marty's bike over pretty carefully and believe the fenders on the bike to be legit to the bike. V/r Shawn

Dang I got excited for a minute! I need to look at some '39 26Xs to see what braces are normally found on these. I looked Marty's bike over pretty carefully and believe the fenders on the bike to be legit to the bike. V/r Shawn

From the pics the front braces look like they'd fit where they should

is this the same chain guard?
pic_0003-2-jpg.jpg
as shown on your bike?

Back